Amir con­demns Lon­don ter­ror at­tack

Teen held

Arab Times - - FRONT PAGE -

KUWAIT CITY, Sept 16, (Agen­cies): His High­ness the Amir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ah­mad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah on Fri­day ex­pressed his con­dem­na­tion of the ter­ror­ist at­tack on an un­der­ground train in south­west Lon­don.

The de­nun­ci­a­tion was con­veyed in two sep­a­rate ca­bles sent to Bri­tain’s Queen El­iz­a­beth II and Prime Min­is­ter Theresa May.

His High­ness the Amir ex­presses his “con­dem­na­tion and de­nun­ci­a­tion of this crim­i­nal act, which tar­get­ted the lives of the in­no­cent, and runs con­trary to all di­vine laws and hu­man val­ues,” read an Amiri Di­wan state­ment.

The state­ment, which wished all of those in­jured in the blast a “speedy re­cov­ery,” also re­it­er­ated Kuwait’s firm stance in re­jec­tion of ter­ror­ism, and in sup­port of in­ter­na­tional ef­forts to com­bat its scourge.

His High­ness the Deputy Amir and Crown Prince Sheikh Nawaf Al-Ah­mad Al-Jaber AlSabah and His High­ness the Prime Min­is­ter Sheikh Jaber Al-Mubarak Al-Ha­mad AlSabah both sent sim­i­lar ca­bles.

Mean­while, the Kuwait Em­bassy in Bri­tain af­firmed on Fri­day that all Kuwaiti cit­i­zens present in the Bri­tish cap­i­tal were safe.


The Kuwaiti em­bassy, in a state­ment sent ex­clu­sively to Kuwait News Agency (KUNA), urged the Kuwaiti na­tion­als, in­clud­ing the stu­dents, to be cau­tious fol­low­ing the ter­ror­ist in­ci­dent.

It called on them, in emer­gency cases, to call it on the phone num­ber (02075903400), not­ing that the con­sulate staff work round the clock and are ready to of­fer any re­quired help for the Kuwaitis.

Bri­tish po­lice ar­rested an 18-year-old man in the port of Dover and raided a house in a small town out­side Lon­don on Satur­day as they hunted for who­ever planted a bomb on a com­muter train that in­jured 30 peo­ple a day ear­lier.

Prime Min­is­ter May put Bri­tain on the high­est se­cu­rity level of “crit­i­cal” late on Fri­day, mean­ing an­other at­tack may be im­mi­nent, and de­ployed sol­diers and armed po­lice to strate­gic lo­ca­tions such as nu­clear plants and de­fence sites.

In what author­i­ties called a “very sig­nif­i­cant” de­vel­op­ment, of­fi­cers ar­rested a man at about 7.50 am (0650 GMT) in Dover, from where pas­sen­ger fer­ries sail to France. Five hours later they raided a prop­erty in Sun­bury, a com­muter town south­west of Lon­don, and evac­u­ated nearby premises as a pre­cau­tion.

Reuters pho­to­graphs showed po­lice cor­dons in a mod­est sub­ur­ban street in Sun­bury, in the county of Sur­rey, around 11 miles (18 kms) from Par­sons Green where the bomb ex­ploded.

“This is a very sig­nif­i­cant ar­rest. The po­lice have made very good progress but the op­er­a­tion is on­go­ing,” said in­te­rior min­is­ter Am­ber Rudd, adding that the threat level re­mained at “crit­i­cal”.

“There is no doubt that this was a se­ri­ous IED (im­pro­vised ex­plo­sive de­vice) and it was good for­tune that it did so lit­tle dam­age.”

In what was the fifth ma­jor ter­ror­ism at­tack in Bri­tain this year, the home­made bomb shot flames through a packed com­muter train dur­ing the Fri­day morn­ing rush hour in west Lon­don but ap­par­ently failed to det­o­nate fully.

The mil­i­tant group Is­lamic State claimed re­spon­si­bil­ity.

Ac­cord­ing to me­dia re­ports, the bomb was at­tached to a timer, un­like other re­cent blasts which have typ­i­cally been sui­cide bombs.

Pic­tures showed a slightly charred white plas­tic bucket with wires com­ing out of the top in a su­per­mar­ket shop­ping bag on the floor of a train car­riage.

The Par­sons Green sta­tion where the at­tack took place re­opened by Satur­day morn­ing.

Armed po­lice pa­trolled the streets of Lon­don near gov­ern­ment de­part­ments in West­min­ster and were guard­ing Premier League soc­cer grounds host­ing matches on Satur­day, in­clud­ing the na­tional sta­dium at Wem­b­ley.

Cres­sida Dick, Bri­tain’s top po­lice of­fi­cer, sought to re­as­sure the public as she joined col­leagues pa­trolling the en­ter­tain­ment dis­trict on the south bank of the Thames.

“Yes­ter­day we saw a cow­ardly and in­dis­crim­i­nate at­tack which could have re­sulted in many lives be­ing lost,” she said. “Lon­don has not stopped af­ter other ter­ri­ble at­tacks and it will not stop af­ter this one.”

The last time Bri­tain was put on “crit­i­cal” alert was af­ter a sui­cide bomber killed 22 peo­ple at a con­cert by the Amer­i­can singer Ari­ana Grande in Manch­ester in May.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Kuwait

© PressReader. All rights reserved.