Entries still open for Lexus Design Award 2017
Last date to submit entries for design competition is October 16
Lexus International reinforced the significant opportunity for talented designers from across the world to change their future and get global recognition through the Lexus Design Award, with the last date for submission of entries fast approaching on October 16, 2016. Twelve finalists will be chosen and announced in early 2017.
Lexus is celebrating the fifth anniversary of this international design competition supporting up-and-coming designers and creators worldwide. The creative theme for the Lexus Design Award 2017 is ‘Yet’. Applicants are invited to submit innovative designs and original interpretations that demonstrate insight into the essence of the ‘Yet’ theme. At Lexus, the ‘Yet’ philosophy gives the courage to combine elements that at first seem incompatible - superior ride comfort ‘Yet’ exhilarating driving dynamics - for example. ‘Yet’ is the catalyst that triggers breakthroughs, the spark that ignites an explosion of creative potential.
According to Takayuki Yoshitsugu, Chief Representative, Middle East and North Africa Representative Office, Toyota Motor Corporation, “At Lexus, we believe in the power of creativity to change the world and build a better future. Through Lexus Design Award, we want to foster the growth of ideas that contribute to society by supporting designers whose work can have a positive impact on our lives. These individuals will benefit from global recognition along with the invaluable experience of working with renowned designers as mentors. We appreciate the support of our customers who have backed the Awards over the years.”
Lexus Design Award 2017 will introduce twelve finalists and their works to the design community and beyond at Milan Design Week 20171. Four of these 12 finalists will prototype their designs, mentored by globally recognized designers. The maximum production budget per prototype is JPY 3 million, equivalent to AED 107,000. Finalists will present their designs in the Lexus experiential space at Milan Design Week. Judges will then assess the four prototypes to choose the Grand Prix winner who may receive the opportunity to bring his prototype to production.
Previous Lexus Design Award winners are displaying their talent on the world stage. Emanuela Corti and Ivan Parati’s Sense-Wear, the Grand Prix winner in 2015, gained further exposure at design events in Tokyo and Moscow. The Grand Prix winner of 2016, design team AMAM’s “AGAR PLASTICITY ? A POTENTIAL USEFULNESS OF AGAR FOR PACKAGING AND MORE” has attracted wide interest and invitations to participate in other international exhibits. In this way, Lexus Design Award winners benefit from globe-spanning publicity and the potential for collaborative projects in the public and private sectors. Title: Lexus Design Award 2017 Application Period: August 10 October 16, 2016
Theme: Yet Judging Criteria True to the essence of “Yet” with uniqueness in its interpretation
* Consistent with the ideas of Lexus “DESIGN” Judges Paola Antonelli * Aric Chen * Toyo Ito * Birgit Lohmann * Alice Rawsthorn * Yoshihiro Sawa (Lexus International) Mentors Neri & Hu * Max Lamb * Elena Manferdini * Snarkitecture Award Categories Lexus Design Award 2017 - Twelve finalists
* One Grand Prix winner (selected from the four prototype winners)
* Four prototype winners (selected from the twelve finalists) * Eight panel finalists Prizes/Benefits Twelve finalists will be invited to Milan Design Week 2017.
* Four winners among the twelve finalists will receive up to 3 million yen (around AED 107,000) each to cover prototype production costs. The four winners will create prototypes between January and March 2017, through sessions with their assigned mentors.
* The four prototypes and eight panels will be exhibited at a Lexus exhibition space during Milan Design Week 2017.
* Each of the twelve finalists will be asked to give a presentation at Milan Design Week 2017, after which a single Grand Prix winner will be named from among the four prototypes through final review by the judges.
* Only one person per entry will be invited, regardless of whether the winning works are submitted by an individual or a group.
Call for Entries to the Lexus Design Award 2017 Competition: