47 can­di­dates dis­barred from con­test­ing elec­tion

Hope­fuls to chal­lenge de­ci­sions in court

Kuwait Times - - FRONT PAGE - By B Iz­zak

KUWAIT: The le­gal com­mit­tee re­view­ing ap­pli­ca­tions filed by can­di­dates to con­test the Na­tional Assem­bly polls later this month de­cided yes­ter­day to bar 47 can­di­dates from the race due to a va­ri­ety of rea­sons. A num­ber of can­di­dates said they were in­formed by the com­mit­tee of its de­ci­sion and vowed they will chal­lenge the de­ci­sion to­day at the ad­min­is­tra­tive court.

The list in­cludes for­mer op­po­si­tion MPs Bader Al Da­houm and Safa Al-Hashem, the only mem­ber of the rul­ing fam­ily to con­test, Sheikh Malek Al-Hu­moud Al Sabah, and con­tro­ver­sial for­mer MP Ab­dul­hameed Dashti, who has been sen­tenced to 31 years and six months in jail.

Da­houm said on his Twit­ter ac­count the elec­tion author­ity de­cided to ban him from con­test­ing the Nov 26 polls with­out stat­ing any rea­son. He said he will im­me­di­ately chal­lenge the de­ci­sion. Da­houm’s lawyer Adel Ab­dul­hadi said his client was barred over an ap­par­ently mi­nor rea­son and he plans to fight it in court.

Hashem, a mem­ber of the dis­solved house be­fore she re­signed over a year ago, said she re­ceived a let­ter in­form­ing her that she can­not run due to a court ver­dict against her. She said she will fight the ban. Hashem was pre­vi­ously con­victed of slan­der against for­mer Is­lamist

op­po­si­tion MP Mubarak Al-Duwailah and was fined KD 150. Duwailah said he does not wish to see any can­di­date barred for mi­nor ver­dicts.

Sheikh Malek made no com­ment on the de­ci­sion to ex­clude his can­di­dacy. He was the only rul­ing fam­ily mem­ber to file his nom­i­na­tion pa­pers. Dashti, who has been liv­ing out­side Kuwait since March, man­aged last week to ob­tain a court or­der to al­low his son to file nom­i­na­tion pa­pers on his be­half. The govern­ment has ap­pealed against the or­der, and yes­ter­day the ap­peals court said it will is­sue its ver­dict on the case next Tues­day. The govern­ment lawyer told the court that Dashti must sub­mit his own nom­i­na­tion pa­pers in per­son, and ac­cord­ingly he must be present at the elec­tion depart­ment. Dashti’s lawyer sub­mit­ted at the court a med­i­cal cer­tifi­cate show­ing that he was re­ceiv­ing med­i­cal treat­ment and could not travel. Other can­di­dates who were barred in­clude con­tro­ver­sial for­mer MP Mo­ham­mad Al-Juwai­hel.

Of the can­di­dates barred, 31 were banned be­cause they had been con­victed in court, while the re­main­ing 16 did not com­plete re­quired pro­ce­dures. They can all chal­lenge the de­ci­sion in court and get or­ders to be rereg­is­tered. A to­tal of 454 can­di­dates, in­clud­ing 15 fe­males, filed ap­pli­ca­tions to con­test the 50-seat Assem­bly polls sched­uled for Nov 26.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Kuwait

© PressReader. All rights reserved.