Ugandan rebels hack six Congo civilians to death
Six civilians were hacked to death in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo in an attack by Ugandan Islamist rebels, local officials said yesterday. Fighters from the Ugandan Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) attacked a small village in North Kivu province on Monday, an administrator in the Beni region, Amisi Kalonda said. “The provisional toll is six dead, all civilians (killed) with machetes, two injured and a medical centre plundered,” Kalonda said of the raid in the village of Kitevya. Noella Katsongerwaki, Beni’s civil society president, speaking by telephone from Goma, the capital of North Kivu, said two men and four women were killed. Captain Mak Hazukay, the local region’s army spokesman, confirmed there had been an attack but did not comment on the casualties. Around 700 people have been killed, mostly hacked to death, in attacks in the troubled region since October 2014. The Congolese government and the MONUSCO United Nations mission in the country both blame the attacks on the ADF, a group of rebels dominated by puritanical Ugandan Islamists.
At least six people were killed when a school bus, that was carrying no children at the time, collided with a commuter bus in the US city of Baltimore yesterday, police said. Photos posted online showed the yellow school bus with its front end crumpled into the middle of the commuter bus. First responders could be seen on the scene, which was strewn with debris. “There were no children on the school bus, however, there are six fatalities,” the Baltimore Police Department posted on Twitter. Baltimore chief media relations officer TJ Smith tweeted that authorities “are in the process of gathering information on the bus crash. We will advise once we have more. Understand this is a fluid situation.” The accident occurred at approximately 6:30 am in the eastern city located some 40 miles north of Washington.
Holy icons, dazed dog saved from the rubble
Firefighters pulled a dog alive from the rubble of Italy’s strongest earthquake in decades and salvaged religious statues and paintings from churches that crumbled in Sunday’s tremor. Video released late on Monday showed rescuers, guided by their own sniffer dog, digging into the rubble to free a dog that emerged covered in dust and looking dazed but unharmed. A statue of a religious figure was wrapped in a protective casing and wheeled out into the street in the medieval town of Norcia, which was close to the epicentre of the quake which measured 6.6 according to the US Geological Survey. No deaths or critical injuries have been reported after the quake, Italy’s strongest since one measuring 6.9 struck near Naples in 1980, killing 2,735 people. Many people had left the affected areas after a smaller quake in August killed almost 300, and most of Norcia’s homes appeared to have withstood the new quake, with residents lauding years of investment in anti-seismic protection.
Kremlin denies British spy chief’s allegations
The Kremlin yesterday dismissed as baseless claims by a British intelligence agency chief that Russia is acting in “increasingly aggressive ways” and using new technologies against the West. The head of Britain’s MI5 intelligence agency Andrew Parker, on Monday said Russia is “using its whole range of state organs and powers to push its foreign policy abroad in increasingly aggressive ways-involving propaganda, espionage, subversion and cyber-attacks.”Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters yesterday that Russia “could not agree” with Parker’s claims. “We have repeatedly commented on cyber-attacks: as long as someone does not provide evidence, any statements-be they by the head of MI5, the president of the United States and other decision-makerswe will consider unfounded and baseless,” Peskov said. “We cannot take any of these unfounded allegations into account.” Peskov added that Russia is using methods to “promote and defend its interests abroad” but they were in line with international law and focused on building “good and mutually beneficial relations with all partners”.
Eleven dead, 59 wounded in ship-breaking accident
At least 11 people were killed and 59 wounded yesterday when a gas cylinder exploded and started a fire inside an oil tanker being broken up for scrap in southern Pakistan, officials said. The accident happened at the Gadani shipbreaking yard in the southwestern province of Balochistan, some 50 kilometers west of Karachi. “A gas cylinder explosion caused a huge fire in the ship which was being dismantled,” Balochistan home secretary Akbar Harifal said, ruling out a deliberate attack. “We have recovered at least 11 bodies so far and shifted 59 injured to Karachi,” Zulfiqar Ali Shah, the deputy commissioner of the area said.
BALTIMORE: In this frame from video, emergency personnel work at the scene of a fatal school bus and a commuter bus crash in Baltimore yesterday. — AP Six dead after school, city bus collide in US