Political bloc members mulled for new Cabinet
KUWAIT: Well-informed sources said that some high-ranking members in the current government had made contacts with some political blocs, including the Islamic Constitutional Movement (ICM), to discuss taking part in the new Cabinet due to be formed once the Nov 26 parliamentary elections are over. The sources noted that there are strong tendencies towards political powers’ participation in the new government, which is expected to include ministers from ICM, the Islamic Salafi Alliance (ISA), the National Democratic Alliance (NDA), the Democratic Forum, a Shiite political bloc and an independent minster from the boycotters of the previous parliament. The sources stressed that ICM is not very enthusiastic about the offer and wishes to remain in parliament monitoring the government’s performance, because it believes that Cabinet membership is damaging to any political bloc and that certain conditions have to be set with the government prior to accepting any portfolio.
Furthermore, the sources said the Democratic Forum has been boycotting the elections, although its ex-member Faisal Al-Shaye, who had some disagreements with it, was a member of the dissolved parliament. The sources added that
Shaye might be included in the new Cabinet, especially since he has decided not to run in the elections. “Being an economist, Shaye might be appointed as minister of finance, social affairs and labor, or commerce and industry,” stressed the sources. Moreover, the sources said His Highness the Prime Minister Sheikh Jaber Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah intends to include at least three MPs in his new Cabinet and that former MPs might be also included, such Adel Al-Khorafi, who withdrew from the race last week.
Ministry of Public Works (MPW) is still in the process of coordinating with the finance ministry to get the sums allocated for road maintenance, Undersecretary Awatif Al-Ghunaim said. She added that KD 150 million had been allocated for MPW for urgent road maintenance over three years and stressed that further coordination is still in progress to get the finance ministry approvals. Meanwhile, Ghunaim said that the committee formed to take over the Jaber Hospital project from the contractor had made no technical remarks, and thus MPW is ready to hand the hospital to the health ministry along with 18,000 blueprints and operation manuals.