Turkey puts 36 jihadist on trial over bombing
Turkey yesterday put 36 suspects on trial over a double suicide bombing last year blamed on Islamic State jihadists that killed over 100 people in the country’s deadliest attack. The bombing on October 10, 2015 outside Ankara’s main train station targeted mainly young people attending a peace rally of pro-Kurdish activists that was to start later that day. Supporters of the victims have until now bitterly criticized the slowness of the investigation into the attack, which further raised tensions between the authorities and the Kurdish minority. The trial got underway at the Ankara criminal court in the presence of opposition MPs and families of the victims, several of whom shouted “murderers” at the suspects, reports said. Thirty-five of the suspects are Turkish while one-named as Valentina Slobodjanjuk-is a Kazakh citizen, the state-run Anadolu news agency said. Several of the suspects face multiple sentences of up to 11,750 years in prison each on charges of murder and seeking to change the constitutional order.