BBC cancels a debate on Islam and politics
The BBC has been forced to move a debate on Islam and politics from Morocco to another country because of problems over filming permissions, the broadcaster has said. “Global Questions, our highly respected and internationally renowned current affairs program, had planned to travel to Casablanca in Morocco for a debate about Islam’s place in politics”, the BBC said on Sunday. “Unfortunately, for unforeseen reasons related to permissions, we will no longer be filming this debate in Morocco but plan to take it to an alternative country,” a spokesperson said. French-language Moroccan newspaper l’Economiste said the episode would instead be filmed in Tunisia. A flagship BBC debate program, Global Questions is presented by Sudanese-British journalist Zeinab Badawi and broadcast on both television and radio. The broadcaster said the episode was to be an “informed and balanced discussion” of the role of Islam in politics in Morocco and the region. It was to feature a “high-profile panel of political, civil society and religious figures”, it said.
Bahraini opposition figure accused of inciting hatred
Bahraini authorities have accused a prominent opposition figure of “inciting hatred and contempt against the regime” in a statement to foreign media, a local newspaper reported Monday. The prosecution said on Sunday it had summoned Ibrahim Sharif after he made a statement that “harms the kingdom’s constitutional system” to a foreign press outlet. Sharif denied parts of the statement attributed to him, it said, adding that he was released after being charged and pending further investigations. The Al-Wasat daily confirmed the release with Sharif’s lawyer. Sharif, the former secretary general of the Waed secular association, spoke to foreign press last week during a visit by Britain’s Prince Charles to the Gulf kingdom. Authorities in July freed Sharif after he served a one-year jail term for antiregime incitement. He had already served four years of a five-year sentence over the 2011 protests before being released under a royal amnesty in June last year.
SEOUL: Police block a subway exit during an anti-government protest in central Seoul. — AFP