Kuwait flag marks 55 years

Kuwait Times - - LOCAL -

KUWAIT:

Fifty-five years ago today, the Kuwaiti flag adopted its cur­rent Pan-Arab col­ors of black, white, green and red, re­plac­ing the all red flag with the cen­tered word of ‘Kuwait’ in white. The cur­rent flag was raised over Seif Palace on Novem­ber 24, 1961, mark­ing Kuwait’s in­de­pen­dence for Bri­tain, which took place on June 19th 1961. Late Sheikh Saad AlAb­d­u­al­lah Al-Salem Al-Sabah was the first to hoist the flag un­der the rul­ing of the late Amir Sheikh Ab­d­u­al­lah Al-Salem Al-Sabah, who was named as ‘fa­ther of in­de­pen­dence.’

In 1961, Kuwait signed an in­de­pen­dence treaty with Sir Ge­orge Mid­dle­ton, the Bri­tish com­mis­sioner for the Ara­bian Gulf, cancel­ing an agree­ment signed with Bri­tain in 1899 to pro­tect the Gulf coun­try against ex­ter­nal am­bi­tions. When Kuwait joined the United Na­tions, the Kuwaiti flag was hoisted in front of the UN head­quar­ters by His High­ness the Amir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ah­mad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, who was Kuwait For­eign Min­is­ter back then. —KUNA

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Kuwait

© PressReader. All rights reserved.