Teen jailed for seven years for Aus­tralia ter­ror plot

Kuwait Times - - INTERNATIONAL -

SYD­NEY: An 18-year-old was sen­tenced yes­ter­day to seven years in prison for plan­ning a Mother’s Day at­tack in Mel­bourne, the lat­est of a series of plots in Aus­tralia in­volv­ing teenagers. The young man, who was 17 when he was ar­rested by po­lice last year, pleaded guilty to one charge of com­mit­ting an act, or plan­ning the prepa­ra­tion of an act, of ter­ror­ism.

He will be el­i­gi­ble for pa­role in five years and three months. The Aus­tralian Broad­cast­ing Cor­po­ra­tion said the teenager, who can­not be named, was mak­ing pipe and pres­sure cooker bombs for a May 10 Mother’s Day at­tack last year when he was ar­rested. Po­lice seized sev­eral items from his home, in­clud­ing a doc­u­ment en­ti­tled “Make a Bomb in Your Mom’s Kitchen” on his com­puter, ABC said. Can­berra has be­come in­creas­ingly wor­ried about home­grown ex­trem­ism and the ter­ror threat level was raised in Septem­ber 2014.

Aus­tralian of­fi­cials say they have now pre­vented 11 ter­ror at­tacks on home soil in the past two years. But some have gone ahead, in­clud­ing the mur­der of a Syd­ney po­lice em­ployee last year by a 15-year-old boy. Counter-ter­ror po­lice have made a series of ar­rests since late 2014, with the youth and rad­i­cal­iza­tion of many of those de­tained a grow­ing con­cern for au­thor­i­ties. Par­lia­ment last month passed new leg­is­la­tion to lower from 16 to 14 the age at which peo­ple can be sub­ject to a con­trol or­der-which aims to pre­vent a ter­ror at­tack by lim­it­ing a per­son’s move­ments, com­mu­ni­ca­tion and ac­tiv­ity.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Kuwait

© PressReader. All rights reserved.