Thomas says Tour exit yet to sink in

Kuwait Times - - SPORTS -

BERGERAC: Geraint Thomas ad­mit­ted yes­ter­day it was too soon to re­alise the full ex­tent of his dis­ap­point­ment af­ter crash­ing out of the Tour de France on Sun­day. Thomas broke his col­lar­bone in a fall mid­way through the ninth stage. He was one of five rid­ers to crash out of the race on Sun­day as rain made moun­tain de­scents slip­pery and dan­ger­ous. What was worse for Thomas, though, was that it was the sec­ond Grand Tour of the year he’s crashed out of, hav­ing also left May’s Giro d’Italia at the end of the first week. “It still hasn’t re­ally sunk in. I’m sure it will be like the Giro and when I get home is when it re­ally hits home, so to speak,” said the 31-year-old Team Sky rider. “The show goes on pretty quickly. So I think it will hit me to­mor­row and in a few days time.” Thomas, though, was al­ready look­ing for­ward to the fu­ture and get­ting back on his sta­tion­ary train­ing bike. “I’m go­ing to see a spe­cial­ist on Tuesday and get it op­er­ated on this week. I’ll have a week off and then I should be back on the turbo trainer.” Un­til his crash it had been a hugely suc­cess­ful Tour for the Welsh­man. — AFP

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Kuwait

© PressReader. All rights reserved.