Yemeni captors did me no physical harm: Priest
A Catholic priest from India who was freed after being held 18 months in Yemen said yesterday that he was never physically harmed during his captivity, even if his captors feigned hitting him on videos seeking ransom. Officials said they had no knowledge of ransom having been paid.
The Rev. Tom Uzhunnalil was kidnapped from a home for senior citizens in Aden, southern Yemen, established by Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity in March 2016. Four nuns were killed during the attack. Uzhunnalil’s voice broke as he publicly expressed his condolences. “I thank God almighty for this day. He saved me healthy enough. Clear mind. Emotions under control until now,” the 59-year-old Uzhunnalil said. “God has been extremely kind to me. No gun was pointed at me.”
He said that when the home for senior citizens was attacked, he identified himself as an Indian and he was brought to another room “while they killed the others.”
Indian officials announced his release on Tuesday, and images show a bearded, gaunt Uzhunnalil descending from an airplane in Muscat, Oman. The priest said he had been transferred from Yemen by car to Oman, and then brought by air to the capital before continuing his journey to Rome. The priest said he didn’t know his kidnappers’ identities or affiliations and believed their motive was ransom, although the head of Uzhunnalil’s Salesian order, Don A F Artime, said they had no knowledge of any ransom having been paid. “No one ever told us that they asked for money. No one asked us for even a euro,” Artime said. “We don’t know anything about this. This is the whole truth. And I believe that Father Tom knows even less.” The mechanisms behind his release also were unclear, but the Vatican has thanked the Sultan of Oman in a statement and Uzhunnalil thanked leaders in his native India. —AP