Our monthly contributor Lana el Sahely: Dress your body shape
In a time where so many cuts are back in trend, it's important to know your body and always dress your shape. You can't simply embrace all the styles.
Our favorite season of the year has finally come. Summer, the time when (almost) everything in fashion is permitted and this year, specifically, there are so many styles back in trend. Body shape is simply all about proportions and in my opinion, fashion is simply about dressing your shape to look at your very best. It's not about your height, it's not about your weight, it's about your shape. A short woman can have the same body shape as her taller friend. We are all unique and our bodies too. However, we narrow body shapes to five general categories. Sometimes, you might find yourself somewhere in between two different categories. Determine your body shape so that you can begin to consider which trends to embrace and which ones to avoid. It's important to be very honest with yourself when you assess your body.
1. Pear body shape: Your lower body is wider than your upper body — in other words, your hips are wider than your shoulders. Your bottom is rounded and your waist is well-defined. Your best assets: Shoulders, torso and flat stomach Your fashion goals: Emphasize your waist and arms, add volume to your shoulders and upper body and minimize your hips.
2. Inverted Triangle body shape: this body shape features a broad chest and wide shoulders which are large in proportion to a narrow waist and hips. Your best asset: your legs Your fashion goals: Accentuate your lower body while softening your shoulders and upper body.
3. Rectangular body shape: The waist, hip and shoulder widths are similar and are usually on the slim side. Slender rectangles have an athletic look about them. Your best assets: Your arms and legs — and you don't have to minimize any body features. Your fashion goals: Create curves and show off slender legs and arms.
4. Apple body shape: Most of your weight accumulates above the hips, which are narrow. Your back, ribs and shoulders are broad, and you may feel wider than other body types. Your best asset: Your legs! Your fashion goals: Elongate the torso, show off your legs and use fashion to create the illusion of a waist.
5. Hourglass body shape: Your shoulders and hips are similar in proportion and set off by a tiny waist. Your best assets: Curves, curves, curves! Your fashion goals: Show off your curves!