Windies skipper undeterred
SYDNEY — West Indies captain Jason Holder (pictured) on Monday described the loss of Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard as “huge” but wanted the former champions to move on during the Cricket World Cup.
Drafted in surprisingly as captain just two months before the World Cup, Holder said selection matters were beyond his control.
“They are two players who have done well in world cricket,” Holder said when asked what effect the dropping of the two key players will have on his team.
“I am not the selector. It’s out of our control. Not having them would be a huge loss to any side. But it’s beyond our control and we have to accept it and move on.”
The 23-year-old became the youngest man to lead the West Indies in the wake of a players’ strike over a payment row with the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB).
The tussle resulted in West Indies abandoning the tour of India in October last year. Bravo and Pollard were the leading players behind the strike and their axing was described as “vengeance” by former West Indian paceman Michael Holding.
But chief selector Clive Lloyd and the WICB dismissed the charge.
Holder said he accepted the captaincy after much deliberation.
“Yes, I had to think about it. It was a delicate time. So I gave it some thought and spoke to a few players around the dressing room and made my decision and being captain is a huge thing for me. I’ve seen myself to be a leader in most teams I’ve put myself into. I’ve led teams before. I led West Indies Under-19 and I was vice-captain on the West Indies A team. It’s not something that I’m fresh to.” — Reuters