Netball league roars back
THE eagerly awaited netball league programme returns this weekend after a twoyear absence due to lack of sponsorship.
A total of 23 teams have been registered for the league, which roars into life at LCS Ground on Saturday, opening what is hoped to be a new and fruitful chapter for the sport.
According to Lesotho Netball Association public relations officer Matšepo Mohau, the league’s return was long overdue because of the support the sport used to command among Basotho.
Ms Mohau said: “We have registered 23 teams in all the districts of the country, save for Qacha’s Nek.
“The netball league is going to have a female, male and veterans category, and we are doing this to ensure that support for netball is rekindled once again.
“We have not held this league for two years due to lack of funding, and hopefully, things will be better this time around, and we will receive the necessary support from the relevant stakeholders, particularly with regards to funding.”
The inclusion of the veterans, Ms Mohau added, was to motivate the youngsters and also tap into the experience of these seasoned players.
“The veterans will bring skills that we believe can be motivational to the younger players. The overall aim, like I said, is to make sure netball becomes a dominant sport, and not a minority pastime that is not taken seriously at all by the public.”
Mohau further said the fixtures would be drawn on Saturday, with the league programme set to run for four months.
“The games will be played based on the regions of North, South and Central, with the finals set for August on a date yet to be identified.”
on what would be on offer for the teams, and individual players, Mohau said due to the absence of a corporate sponsor “at the moment”, the prizes were yet to be confirmed.
“So far, we are only being supported by the Sports Commission, but we are hoping that the corporate world would soon get on board.
“our aim is to give prizes to the top three teams at the end of the season in August.”