M3.2m robbery suspects back in court
FIVE suspected robbers will appear again before the High Court on Thursday next week.
Sekhoane Mosamo, Tšeliso Mareka, Lehlohonolo ‘Mote, Libenyane Liphoto and Khotso Mosamo are accused of robbing Roma Post office of M3.2 million two years ago.
The suspects allegedly arrived at the post office at around 3pm on 24 July 2013, and assaulted a member of staff on duty before taking away M3 239, 750, and fleeing in a Ford Bantam vehicle.
Following their arrest, the suspects first appeared before the Maseru Magistrate’s Court on 13 August 2013 and were remanded in custody and told to apply for bail before the High Court.
The High Court subsequently granted them M200 000 bail each, and also ordered each of them to secure someone to stand them M300 000 surety. They failed to meet these demands and were remanded in custody.
on Monday this week, the suspects appeared before Justice Molefi Makara, but the case could not proceed because of several concerns, among them their legal representation.
The Judge’s Clerk, Eric Ramalefane, on Monday told the Lesotho Times that the case had been postponed to 5 November “for pre-trial preparatory session.
“The session will mainly focus on sorting out their legal representation because it seems there is some confusion as to who are their lawyers.
“The session will also discuss the way forward with regards the hearing of the case,” Mr Ramalefane said.