Council, police warn vendors
“Since October last year, all the reported murder cases have taken place in the evening or at night. These cases are as follows: in October, four people who included children, were killed, and two more escaped with serious injuries. Later, near Sefika area, a man was killed while another was shot near Roma taxi rank. Both incident took place in the evening.
“Near Manonyane Centre, three more people including an innocent vendor were injured by a stray bullet. And just this last Sunday, ‘Bushy’ who was one of the active committee members of one of your associations was shot and killed. This should be enough to say even you, you are in danger of being caught up in the fracas.”
According to Inspector Mapola, the police were hunting the killers.
“We wish to ask anyone who can come forward to help us capture six suspects that are believed to be behind the ongoing killings. One of the suspects has been identified as Lebohang Rantso of Sehlabeng Ha Mojela who is suspected of killing Rethabile ‘Bushy’ Malefane on Sunday.
“We urge anyone with information about his whereabouts to come forward and tell the police. We cannot reveal the names of the other five because we have not obtained their pictures,” he said.
Meanwhile, some of the street vendors attending the event expressed skepticism about the way the authorities were addressing the issue.
“The police do not seem to have enough capacity to drive out these criminals from our businesses. They always disappoint whenever we report criminal activities because of their slow response to crime.
“We also cannot afford to pull off our structures every time we close business for the day, only to put them back on again in the morning. We will not stop opening our businesses at night because that is when we make money. we have responsibilities and we need the money,” said one of the vendors who gave his name as Matsepo Ntsohle.
SOME of the vendors listen to council officials and the police address yesterday.
Senior inspector Motlatsi Mapola..