Tips for a hassle-free home move
FINDING a home you love can bring so much joy to your life, but the process of moving can have the opposite effect.
Moving house is considered to be one of the most stressful life experiences because it’s a daunting task. Consequently, many homeowners just want to get it over and done with as quickly as possible, but this is where a lot of mistakes happen.
With so many removal companies out there, how do you choose the right one?
So how do you pick the right moving company?
1. Find out how long the business has been operating for. Most fly-by-nights don’t last long.
2. Find out about the condition of the trucks,, ask the movingg company to send nd you a photo of the truck that will be collecting your goods. Manyny companies use old, dilapidatedd trucks which are e poorly maintained, d, so be vigilant.
3. Is the company affiliated with the Professionalal Movers Association?n? If not, there must be a good reason.
4. Wordd of mouth is usually a great way ay to find a reputable table moving compampany. Having g had first-hand experience working rking with a movingoving company, happy customers, mers, whether they’re hey’re family or friends, iends, can recommendmmend a suitable service provider.er.
6. Does s company the offer GIT (Goods in transit) Insurance? Ask them who they’re insured with and find out if it’s legit.
Now that you have found the right company, what should you do prior to the move? 1. Get organised. 2. Download a checklist from the internet.
3. Order packing materials way in advance of the move.
4. Start packing early so that you don’t end up rushing through everything the day before your big move. Taking on too much the day before the move is not a good idea as you’re going to need your energy on the day of the move.
5. If you have kids get them involved and make it fun. Get them excited about the new house.
6. Pack a box with all your essen- tials.
7. Take photos of how your electronics are connected so that you can reconnect them easily in your new home.
8. Make use of laundry bins and suitcases — this will cut down on the number of boxes you’ll need for the move.
9. Make use of a colour coding system, it works best.
10. Pack a lunch box with cold drinks.
11. Prior to the movers arriving, make sure you know where all the furniture must be placed in your new home. This will help avoid any delays and confusion.
12. If you’re moving to an estate or complex, ensure that the moving truck is allowed onto the premises. Many places only allow up to 3 ton trucks onto their premises so make allowances for that. If you need an alternative, get a shuttle. 13. Make sure you take out All Risk Insurance with the removal company or your own insurance company as GIT Insurance only covers the client if the truck catches on fire, gets involved in a collision or overturns.
14. If you have pets, have a friend watch them while you’re busy.
15. Leave the rest to the professionals - sit back, relax and remember to have a good night’s sleep the day before your move. — Property24.
order packing materials way in advance of the move.