Ethiopia fire coach
ADDIS ABABA — Ethiopia coach Yohannes Sahile has had his contract terminated after the team’s poor run of form.
The Ethiopian Football Federation president Juneydi Basha told BBC Sport that “the main reason for the decision was poor results at CHAN as well as in World Cup and African Cup of nations qualifying.”
Ethiopia failed to get past the group stage of the Africa Nations Championship (CHAN) in Rwanda earlier this year picking up just one point from three games.
Last year they were knocked out of 2018 World Cup qualifying by Congo losing 6-4 on aggregate. More recently results against Algeria have left them with little chance of qualifying for the 2017 Nations Cup in Gabon. Firstly they lost 7-1 away in Algeria in March and then drew 3-3 at home with the same opponents in two consecutive qualifiers. Ethiopia had led on three occasions in the second match but were unable to secure victory. The poor performance of the Walyas has left them trailing by five points behind Algeria’s Desert Foxes in Group J with two matches to play.
In a statement released on Monday, the Ethiopian Football Federation cited “unmet targets” for Sahile’s dismissal along with members of the federation’s technical committee. The body said it has picked Sahile’s successor but would disclose his identity only in the “next few days” once terms had been agreed.
Sahile, an American of Ethiopian descent, is the third manager to be given his marching orders since Ethiopia came within two matches of a first-ever World Cup appearance in Brazil two years ago.
But Ethiopia’s fortunes have since waned and the Walyas failed to qualify for last year’s Nations Cup after finishing bottom of the group with just one win. They next face Lesotho and Seychelles in June and September, with table-toppers Algeria needing a solitary point to ensure their progress to next year’s finals in Gabon. — BBC ISLAMABAD — Pakistan’s new selectors Monday dropped star players Shahid Afridi, Ahmed Shehzad and Umar Akmal from next month’s tour of England, stressing there would be no compromises after the country’s disastrous exit from the World Twenty20 in India.
Former Afghanistan coach Inzamam-ulHaq, who is heading up the newly formed selection committee as part of wholesale changes following last month’s tournament humiliation, announced 35 players would attend boot camp starting in Kakul from May 14 to June 4.
He said Afridi — who announced he would continue playing the Twenty20 format after resigning as captain in the wake of the event - needed to perform in domestic matches.
“Since we are playing only four Twenty20 matches this year we want to give new players a chance, and that will also allow Afridi to rest and perform in domestic matches,” Inzamam said at a news conference in Lahore.
As for Shehzad and Umar, he said, “the selection committee will not compromise on
Shehzad was declared best batsman of the Pakistan Cup one-day tournament which ended on Sunday, scoring 372 runs, but along with Umar has been involved in various disciplinary breaches. Former Pakistan head coach Waqar Younis — who resigned in early April — had also recommended dropping Shehzad and Umar. Spot-fixing convict Salman Butt was also not selected.
“Butt has not played four-day cricket since his ban was lifted so we need to assess him in longer formats before selecting him,” said Inzamam.
Butt is also likely to face issues with obtaining a visa to England — though another spot-fixing convict, Mohammad Amir, was included in the squad as he is expected to get the visa after pleading guilty in a UK court. Butt, Amir and Mohammad Asif were caught in a spot-fixing case on Pakistan’s last tour of England in 2010, taking money for no-balls during the Lord’s Test.
Their five-year ban ended in September last year. Pakistan will play four Tests, five one-day internationals and a Twenty20 international on a two-month long tour of England. — Reuters