Cleaning tips for a spotless home
KEEPING your house clean can seem like an uphill battle at times. You want to live in a clean, welcoming home, but who can really find time to clean top to bottom while juggling other commitments such as work and family? A cleaner home is a hassle-free home. When your home is clean, you feel more relaxed in it. You feel more confident about entertaining or when an unexpected visitor drops round. A lovely, clean home is a real mood booster too.
Keeping your surroundings pleasant doesn’t have to be an inconvenience. There’s one simple trick you can use to make your home lovely with minimal effort, and that’s tackling the little tasks.
There are many cleaning tasks that you can do in five minutes or less. Keep on top of those, and before you know it, your home will be sparkling clean.
In the kitchen The kitchen quickly gets grubby as food is prepared in it throughout the day. Keep it spotless with these tricks:
1. Wipe down countertops A speedy wipe down after every use takes seconds, and keeps your counters free of crumbs and spills.
2. Clean the hob If you do it regularly, cleaning the hob needn’t be a major task. Wipe it down as soon as you spot a spill.
3. Rinse the sink A quick rinse after every use will keep your sink clean.
4. Soak pans and utensils It takes a few minutes to do this. As soon as you’re finished using them, soak your pans and utensils in hot water. This will save you a lot of time spent scrubbing later.
5. Take out the trash An indoor dustbin can start smelling quickly, so take it out regularly.
6. Disinfect It takes five minutes to go over your sink, hob or counters with a disinfectant spray, making your kitchen cleaner and safer.
In the bathroom Taking care of these quick tasks will keep your bathroom sparkling:
7. Clean the toilet You don’t have to spend ages scrubbing, just swish the toilet brush around the bowl and give the rim a wipe with a cloth every day. This will keep your toilet clean.
8. Wash towels Gather up damp towels and wash cloths and get a load of laundry going.
9. Wipe down the sink A quick wipe will keep your sink free of toothpaste splatters.
10. Unclog your drains You can pour drain unblocker down the drain and leave it to work while you do something else.
11. Wipe the mirrors Sparkling clean mirrors will make your bathroom look much better.
12. Clean the shower door or curtain Wipe down your shower door or spray an antimould product over your curtain to keep your shower free of mould and mildew.
In the bedroom Your bedroom will be much more restful if you neaten it up with these easy-to-do tips:
13. Make the bed It’s the simplest thing, but a couple of minutes straightening out your bed will leave your bedroom looking much cleaner.
14. Put clothes away You can hang or fold a lot of clothes in five minutes. This will make your bedroom look much better.
15. Wipe down furniture tops Sweep the tops of bedside tables or chests of drawers with a soft duster for an instantly cleaner bedroom.
16. Tidy clutter If you spot jewellery or beauty products strewn about the bedroom, take five minutes to put them back in their rightful place.
17. Fill the laundry hamper Pick up any dirty clothes or strip the bedclothes and throw them in the hamper. Your bedroom will be neater in no time. 18. Wipe down window frames or ledges These often get neglected, but a quick wipe down will soon clean them up.
In the living room The living room is a high-traffic area which means that it quickly gets dirty and untidy. Keep it looking great with these helpful hints:
19. Deal with crumbs Grab a dust buster and get rid of any stray crumbs or other dirt on your living room floor.
20. Wipe down tables It takes just a couple of minutes to wipe over a table and get rid of crumbs, spills, fingerprints or any other mess, leaving your surfaces looking much better.
21. Sort out the sofa Two minutes spent plumping and straightening cushions and folding throws if you have them will make your sofa look inviting instantly.
22. Clear clutter Clearing clutter in your living room doesn’t have to be a major task. Take five minutes and put items such as toys, remote controls or game controllers back where they belong.
23. Straighten the coffee table Neaten up any books or magazines, and take any used mugs back to the kitchen. Remember to file away any paperwork that’s been left on the coffee table too.
24. Spot clean If you see fingerprints on cabinet fronts, clock cases or any other surfaces, take two minutes to wipe them off with a soft cloth.
Keeping your home clean is quick and easy when you break it down into bite-sized tasks.
For even better results, set yourself a daily and weekly schedule. Clean up after yourself and keep major clutter and minor spills under control on a daily basis,
Every week, pledge to take the time to disinfect, dust or do laundry. It only takes five minutes here and there between other tasks, and your home will be a delight to live in.
When it comes to cleaning the toilet, you don’t have to spend ages scrubbing, just swish the toilet brush around the bowl and give the rim a wipe with a cloth every day.