SA’s T20 Global League head­ing for loss

Sunday Express - - SPORTS -

SOUTH Africa’s new T20 Global League will go ahead, Cricket South Africa pledged on Fri­day, but it is ex­pected to lose money for the first two sea­sons.

No broad­cast deal has yet been signed, but CSA vice-president and act­ing chief ex­ec­u­tive Tha­bang Moroe ( said ne­go­ti­a­tions were well-ad­vanced.

“It is just a mat­ter of agree­ing the finer de­tails,” he said.

Moroe said a deal in the re­gion of $70-80 mil­lion was be­ing sought, but ad­mit­ted that CSA was ex­pect­ing a net loss of about

pic­tured)

$25 mil­lion (R345 mil­lion), while fran­chise own­ers would lose about $1.5 mil­lion (R20 mil­lion) in the first sea­son.

Moroe and CSA president Chris Nen­zani briefed re­porters for the first time since last week’s an­nounce­ment of the de­par­ture of chief ex­ec­u­tive Ha­roon Lor­gat, which me­dia spec­u­la­tion linked to un­hap­pi­ness over Lor­gat’s ne­go­ti­a­tions for the league.

Nen­zani said: “We are work­ing very hard to en­sure the Global T20 league launches on Novem­ber 3. The key is­sue is to get a broad­cast deal on the ta­ble.”

The league is planned as South Africa’s equiv­a­lent of the In­dian Pre­mier League and Aus­tralia’s Big Bash League.

Seven of the eight teams are for­eign-owned and sev­eral lead­ing in­ter­na­tional play­ers as well as all South Africa’s top play­ers are com­mit­ted to play­ing.

Moroe said own­ers had been con­sulted. “They are all com­mit­ted to stay­ing in the league and the own­ers are happy to ac­cept there will be losses for the first two years.”

Moroe said ne­go­ti­a­tions for a ti­tle spon­sor were tak­ing place but ad­mit­ted: “Ev­ery­thing hangs on a broad­cast deal.” — AFP

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Lesotho

© PressReader. All rights reserved.