Clean up your act: Ini­ti­a­tion schools told

Sunday Express - - FRONT PAGE -

DUR­BAN — The graft case against for­mer pres­i­dent Ja­cob Zuma has been post­poned to July 27 and will be moved to the High Court in Pi­eter­mar­itzburg.

Zuma’s lawyer, Michael Hul­ley, told the court he should have more clar­ity on his client’s fund­ing is­sues by that court date.

He would also still be lodg­ing an ap­pli­ca­tion to re­view the Na­tional Di­rec­tor of Pub­lic Pros­e­cu­tion’s de­ci­sion to charge him, which was de­layed be­cause of lack of fund­ing.

The High Court in Dur­ban heard on Fri­day that the Pres­i­dency had not re­sponded to a re­quest from Zuma’s lawyers on whether the state will con­tinue to pay his le­gal fees.

Hul­ley said a let­ter was sent to the di­rec­tor- gen­eral in the Pres­i­dency on May 24. How­ever, there had been no re­sponse.

Hul­ley rep­re­sented Zuma at his sec­ond ap­pear­ance on fraud and cor­rup­tion charges, as his pre­ferred ad­vo­cates‚ Kemp J Kemp and Hoosen Gani‚ are be­lieved not to have ob­tained clear­ance from the Pres­i­dency to rep­re­sent the for­mer pres­i­dent. Hul­ley hoped that by the next court ap­pear­ance‚ the fund­ing is­sue would be re­solved so there would be clar­ity on the way for­ward.

An ap­pli­ca­tion brought by the DA op­pos­ing the state pay­ing Zuma’s le­gal fees is ex­pected to go ahead only next year. In the mean­time the Pres­i­dency has said it will up­hold the court’s de­ci­sion.

Hul­ley told the High Court in Dur­ban on Fri­day that he was un­sure whether that meant that the sta­tus quo was still in place. He said Zuma still planned to launch an ap­pli­ca­tion to re­view the de­ci­sion to pros­e­cute him.

Pros­e­cu­tor Billy Downer con­sented to the ad­journ­ment to al­low the de­fence to “get its house in or­der” but told the court it was dis­ap­point­ing that both de­fence teams did not meet ex­pec­ta­tions.

He ex­plained that an ad­journ­ment granted in April un­til June 8 was to al­low Zuma and coac­cused Thales to launch their ap­pli­ca­tions for a stay of pros­e­cu­tion. How­ever‚ that was not done.

While Zuma failed to launch his ap­pli­ca­tion‚ Thales lawyers sub­mit­ted their pa­pers to the state only two days ago‚ leav­ing the pros­e­cu­tion lit­tle time to con­sider them.

“The state is ready to pro­ceed but the de­fence’s house is not in or­der‚” Downer said.

He men­tioned Novem­ber 12 as a pos­si­ble trial date. How­ever‚ it is highly un­likely that it will go ahead on that date.

Judge Mjab­u­liseni Madondo ad­journed the mat­ter un­til next month. It will take place in Pi­eter­mar­itzburg as the Dur­ban High Court is be­ing ren­o­vated.

Af­ter the pro­ceed­ings‚ Zuma ap­peared in high spir­its and greeted his sup­port­ers in court‚ in­clud­ing ANC North West chair­man Supra Mahumapelo‚ for­mer SABC chief op­er­a­tions of­fi­cer Hlaudi Mot­soe­neng and KwaZulu-Natal ANC chair­man Sihle Zikalala. He even pat­ted Downer on the back be­fore ex­it­ing the court.

Zuma is charged with 16 counts that in­clude fraud‚ cor­rup­tion and rack­e­teer­ing. The charges re­late to 783 pay­ments he al­legedly re­ceived as a bribe to pro­tect French arms com­pany Thales from an in­ves­ti­ga­tion into the con­tro­ver­sial multi-bil­lion rand arms deal. The al­leged bribe was fa­cil­i­tated by Zuma’s for­mer fi­nan­cial ad­viser‚ Sch­abir Shaik.

Dur­ing the brief pro­ceed­ings Zuma’s co-ac­cused‚ Thales rep­re­sen­ta­tive Chris­tine Guer­rier‚ sat grimly in the dock‚ look­ing straight ahead and not en­gag­ing Zuma.

SOUTH Africa’s for­mer pres­i­dent Ja­cob Zuma ar­rived at the Dur­ban High Court on Fri­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Lesotho

© PressReader. All rights reserved.