Have a workout partner for double the fun and motivation. Thanuja and Anuja Ananthan show us how they pair up to sweat it out!
FOREARM PLANKS & BURPEES
10 reps x 3 sets One partner starts with a forearm plank and the other with a burpee. This form of cardio works the whole body.
1. Lie flat on your stomach. Start with shoulders directly above the elbow and hands clasped together.
2. Point your toes and lift hips into a straight line. Squeeze your gluteus and abdominal muscles for support. TIP Beginners can start with a knee plank. Lift your shins, so the knees form the base of support for the plank.
1. Stand straight with feet hip-width apart. Push hips back and bend knees to ease into a squat. Lower your body so your hands are flat on the ground, just inside the feet.
2. Leap backwards into a straight plank, then jump back in and jump sideways.
3. Land softly, on the balls of your feet, back into a squat. TIP Beginners can just step back, one leg at a time, into a straight plank.
“PRE-WORKOUT, I HAVE SOME BANANA WITH PEANUT BUTTER, AND AFTER WORKING OUT, I TAKE IN LOTS OF VEGGIES AND FRUITS ALONG WITH CHICKEN OR FISH. – THANUJA ANANTHAN
KNEE PUSHUP TAPS
Repeat until either you or your partner can no longer continue Works the chest, triceps, shoulders, and abs. 1. Lie flat on your stomach. 2. Start with your shoulders directly above the wrists, using the knees to support your body. Lift hips up, so your body is straight. 3. Lower elbows to the back until your chest is hovering above the ground. 4. Extend elbows back into the original position and tap your partner’s opposite hand. TIP Beginners can go as low as possible or find an incline to start building upper body strength. Advanced individuals can do explosive clap push-ups instead of standard ones.
“MY PRE-WORKOUT MEAL IS A BANANA AND SOME NUTS. WHEN I AM DONE WITH MY WORKOUT, I GO FOR CARBS TO KEEP ME FULL. AS I TEACH YOGA CLASSES DAILY, I TAKE SMALL MEALS THROUGHTOUT THE DAY. – ANUJA ANANTHAN
Do this for 1 minute Works your oblique and abdominals.
1. Sit down and place hands directly behind your hips for balance.
2. Lift feet above the ground and extend knees diagonally.
3. Bring knees back towards your body, then extend them on the opposite side of your partner. TIP Those familiar with this workout can try to lift their hands off the floor, engaging your core for balance.