It would be naïve of macOS users to think that their devices aren’t susceptible to being held hostage by ransomware, as Fortinet recently discovered a new type of Mac ransomware, called MacRansom – an example of Ransomware-as-a-Service (RaaS) highlighted by Summit Bansal, SOPHOS’ Director for ASEAN and Korea.
What makes MacRansom different from other types of ransomware is that it can actually be purchased from the Dark Web, allowing buyers to disseminate it on their own accord to make a profit. As a matter of fact, buyers even have the option of choosing the desired Bitcoin amount for the target to pay, when the ransomware should be activated, and whether it should self-execute when someone connects an infected USB drive.
Once the system is infected and encrypted, a prompt will appear onscreen, asking the user to pay a ransom of 0.25 Bitcoins (approx. RM2,973) to a specific email address within seven days, or risk having the decryption key deleted. The creators of MacRansom will reportedly ‘only’ keep 30 percent of the specified ransom, while the remaining 70 percent will be returned to the user who transmitted the malware to his victim.