IGP: No co­op­er­a­tion from North Korea, em­bassy yet

New Straits Times - - News -

KUALA LUMPUR: The po­lice have yet to re­ceive any in­for­ma­tion from North Korea or its em­bassy here on the seven peo­ple sought over the mur­der of Kim Jong­nam, In­spec­tor-Gen­eral of Po­lice Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said yes­ter­day.

He said the North Korean em­bassy had not ex­tended the co­op­er­a­tion re­quested by the po­lice to fa­cil­i­tate in­ves­ti­ga­tion into the killing of Jong­nam, the es­tranged elder half­brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

“They have not ex­tended any form of co­op­er­a­tion. We will let you know the next course of po­lice ac­tion if they still do not want to co­op­er­ate,” he said.

Khalid had said on Feb 22 that the po­lice would seek the co­op­er­a­tion of the North Korean au­thor­i­ties to hand over four North Korean men, who re­turned to North Korea from Malaysia on the day of Jong­nam’s mur­der to help in the probe into the killing.

He said the North Korean au­thor­i­ties should ex­tend co­op­er­a­tion and al­low the po­lice to ques­tion all suspects so that the case can be com­pleted.

The four North Korean men said to have re­turned to Py­ongyang are Ri Ji-hyon, 33, Hong Song-hac, 34, O Jong-gil, 55, and Ri Jae-nam, 57.

The po­lice are also seek­ing the sec­ond sec­re­tary at the North Korean em­bassy iden­ti­fied as Hyon Kwang-song, 44, North Korea’s Air Ko­ryo air­line em­ployee Kim Uk-il, 37, and an­other per­son iden­ti­fied as Ri Ji-u, 30, or bet­ter known as James.

Asked about the ar­rival of a North Korean se­nior of­fi­cial to dis­cuss mat­ters re­lated to the mur­der, Khalid said there was no ne­ces­sity for the of­fi­cial to meet the po­lice but per­haps with Wisma Pu­tra.

North Korea’s for­mer am­bas­sador to the United Na­tions, Ri Tong-il, ar­rived at the em­bassy and de­clared that he would be the of­fi­cial spokesper­son in mat­ters re­lated to the mur­der.

Jong-nam was at klia2 at 8am on Feb 13 to board a flight to Ma­cau an hour later when two women ap­proached him, wip­ing his face with the palms of their hands which con­tained what was later iden­ti­fied as the VX nerve agent.

Jong-nam re­port­edly sought help at a cus­tomer ser­vice counter at the air­port and was rushed to the Pu­tra­jaya Hos­pi­tal but died on the way. He had come to Malaysia on Feb 6.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.