‘Govt welcomes private funding to find plane’
KUALA LUMPUR: The government welcomes private funding initiatives by relatives of those who were on board Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 to find the missing aircraft.
Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai yesterday said such initiatives were welcome as “everybody has their own way of helping”.
“We will definitely bring this up with the other governments involved, like Australia and China,” he said at a remembrance event for the missing plane organised by Voice370 yesterday.
On whether Putrajaya would contribute to the fund, Liow said it would be discussed.
Relatives of those on board MH370, which went missing almost three years ago, are working to continue the search for the plane through a privately-funded initiative. This follows the Jan 17 suspension of the search for the missing Boeing 777-200ER in the southern Indian Ocean.
“I assure you that the government will always stand with you.
Teams of experts are analysing all data and debris to find credible new information,” Liow said. He said he had “good dialogues” with the families of those on board MH370, whom he said had come up with several good proposals.
Earlier this week, Liow had met the families on two occasions — in Putrajaya and Cyberjaya.
K.S. Narendran, from India, whose wife Chandrika Sharma was a passenger on MH370, said a privately-funded search was critical to finding the aircraft, and the governments involved must also participate as they had the resources to do so.
Yesterday, the families launched efforts to raise at least US$15 million (RM66.8 million) to fund a private search. Some 200 people from various countries attended the remembrance event.
Relatives of passengers and crew of Flight MH370 releasing doves during an event to commemorate the third anniversary of the missing plane.