Head­phone bat­ter­ies ex­plode on flight

New Straits Times - - World -

SYD­NEY: A woman, whose head­phones caught fire on a plane, suf­fered burns to her face and hands, of­fi­cials said yes­ter­day as they warned about the dan­gers of bat­tery-op­er­ated de­vices in flights.

The pas­sen­ger was lis­ten­ing to mu­sic on her bat­tery-op­er­ated head­phones as she dozed about two hours into the trip from Bei­jing to Mel­bourne on Feb 19 when there was a loud ex­plo­sion.

“I turned around and felt burn­ing on my face,” she told the Aus­tralian Trans­port Safety Bu­reau (ATSB), which in­ves­ti­gated the in­ci­dent.

“I grabbed my face, caus­ing the head­phones to go around my neck. I con­tin­ued to feel burn­ing, so I took them off and threw them on the floor.

“They were spark­ing and had small amounts of fire.”

Flight at­ten­dants rushed to help and poured a bucket of wa­ter on the head­phones, but the bat­tery and its cover had melted and was stuck to the floor.

Pho­tos showed the un­named woman with a black­ened face and neck, and blis­ters on her hands.

Fel­low pas­sen­gers had to en­dure the smell of melted plas­tic, burnt elec­tron­ics and singed hair for the re­main­der of the flight.

ATSB did not iden­tify which air­line was in­volved.

It as­sessed that the lithium-ion bat­ter­ies in the de­vice had likely caught fire.

It said such de­vices needed to be stored safely when not in use. AFP

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.