Chong Wei may skip India Open
LEE Chong Wei may not make the trip to New Delhi for the India Open.
The 35-year-old World No 1 — despite winning his fourth All England title of Sunday — feels it might be too hectic for him to compete in two back-to-back tournaments, including the Malaysia Open on Apr 4-9 in Kuching.
Chong Wei, who resumed training on Wednesday, said: “I will discuss with my coaches (Hendrawan and Tey Seu Bock) before making a decision.
“As of now, my name is still in the list to compete in India, but it might be too much for me to compete in back-to-back tournaments.
“My focus is definitely the Malaysia Open, where I want to win my 12th title, but let’s see how everything goes in the coming week,” said Chong Wei, who only made it to the second round of the India Open last year.
Prior to the All England in Birmingham, Chong Wei suffered a torn medial collateral ligament (MCL) and had to race against time to make the trip to England.
The three-time Olympic silver medallist added that his priorities this year are clear, and he would like to silence his critics.
“A lot of people out there are calling me to quit because they think I’m old, but I want to prove them wrong.
“This year, I will only play in selected tournaments as my goal is to win the World Championships (Glasgow) in August.
“I cannot afford injuries, so I must be very careful to not over exert myself. Another thing I need to work on is handling pressure.”
Chong Wei settled for the World Championships silver at the 2011 (London), 2013 (Guangzhou) and 2015 (Jakarta) editions while he took home the bronze in 2005 (Anaheim).