Bus driver claims trial to dan­ger­ous driv­ing charge

New Straits Times - - News -

NIBONG TEBAL: An ex­press bus driver, whose ve­hi­cle was in­volved in a crash that killed a pas­sen­ger on Mon­day, claimed trial to caus­ing death by dan­ger­ous driv­ing at the Jawi mag­is­trate’s court here yes­ter­day.

Muhd Farizan Awang, 39, who suf­fered mi­nor fa­cial in­juries fol­low­ing the ac­ci­dent, made the plea af­ter the charge was read and ex­plained to him by the court in­ter­preter be­fore mag­is­trate Shamshol Azwa Mar­tadza.

Clad in a strik­ing orange Tshirt, blue jeans and lu­mi­nous green sports shoes, Farizan ap­peared calm through­out the pro­ceed­ing, oc­ca­sion­ally look­ing at his fam­ily mem­bers in the public gallery for sup­port.

Farizan had al­legedly driven in a dan­ger­ous man­ner at Km151.9 of the North-South Ex­press­way, be­fore the north­bound Bukit Tam­bun exit, at 4.20pm on Mon­day, caus­ing the death of a woman. He was charged un­der Sec­tion 41(1) of the Road Trans­port Act 1987, which car­ries a max­i­mum 10 years’ jail and a max­i­mum RM20,000 fine, upon con­vic­tion.

Deputy public pros­e­cu­tor Afiq Nazrin Za­hari­nan asked the court to set bail at RM10,000 with two sureties, adding that the ac­ci­dent re­sulted in the death of a woman.

Farizan, who pleaded for le­niency through the court in­ter­preter as he was un­rep­re­sented, said he was the sole bread­win­ner with an un­em­ployed wife and three chil­dren to fend for.

Shamshol then set bail at RM8,000 with one surety, and fixed May 4 for men­tion of the case to en­able Farizan to en­gage a lawyer.

She also or­dered for Farizan’s driv­ing li­cence to be sus­pended un­til the end of the trial proper.

It was re­ported that the ac­ci­dent oc­curred when the driver of the ill-fated Shamisha Ex­press Bus was at­tempt­ing to avoid a cross­ing an­i­mal.

The in­ci­dent claimed the life of No­razah Az­izan, 29, and in­jured 20 oth­ers, in­clud­ing two se­ri­ously.

The bus, which was head­ing north to­wards Ji­tra, Kedah, from Ter­mi­nal Bersepadu Se­la­tan Kuala Lumpur, was fer­ry­ing 27 pas­sen­gers and two driv­ers, all aged be­tween 19 and 50, at the time of the in­ci­dent.

Pas­sen­gers had claimed that the driver was driv­ing at “nor­mal” speed prior to the crash, af­ter mak­ing a five-minute pit­stop at nearby Sun­gai Bakap, be­fore pro­ceed­ing with the jour­ney.


Bus driver Muhd Farizan Awang be­ing led to the Jawi mag­is­trate’s court yes­ter­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.