REPORT LOSS, GAME VICTIMS TOLD
Only two reports made on missing investment funds, say cops
VICTIMS of the JJ Poor to Rich (JJPTR) money game should not hesitate to come forward to lodge a police report on the loss of their investments.
Penang police chief Datuk Chuah Ghee Lye said police had only received two reports to date over the alleged RM1.7 billion missing investment funds.
“In the second report, it was mentioned that the total investment by JJPTR was RM1.7 billion, or US$400 million.
“Other than that, we have received no report.
“If there are more victims, they should lodge reports to help us in our investigation,” he said after meeting Community Policing Association representatives at Hotel Royal, Jalan Larut here yesterday. It was reported that JJPTR had claimed that the investment money had been siphoned by hackers.
Late last month, its founder, Johnson Lee, 28, promised to return the money invested by 31,000 of its members.
On Thursday, Bukit Aman Commercial Crime Investigation Department (CCID) director Commissioner Datuk Acryl Sani Abdullah Sani said that five of the company’s accounts had been frozen pending investigations.
The next day, a raid was carried out at eight JJPTR offices by a task force consisting of Bukit Aman CCID, Bank Negara Malaysia and Companies Commission of Malaysia .
A total of 19 staff members and investors were detained and a number of documents were seized during the raid. The detainees, however, were released after their statements were taken.
Chuah said police could detain the 28-year-old founder to assist with investigation.
“We have not detained him yet, but we will do in due course, if needed,” he said.
Penang police chief Datuk Chuah Ghee Lye (second from right) during the launch of the Meet the Police Chief Programme in Pulau Pinang, yesterday.