Event or­gan­is­ers fined over in­de­cency

New Straits Times - - News -

BENTONG: The trainer re­spon­si­ble for the in­de­cency dur­ing a field sport­ing ac­tiv­ity at a re­sort near here in Jan­uary, pleaded on be­half of the par­tic­i­pants dur­ing pro­ceed­ings at the mag­is­trate’s court yes­ter­day.

Yew Kian Shy­ong, 45, pleaded be­fore mag­is­trate Khairud­din An­har Mah­mud, say­ing that it was his re­spon­si­bil­ity as a trainer to bear the pun­ish­ment for the in­ci­dent.

“The mo­ti­va­tional camp was meant to teach them com­pas­sion and self-con­fi­dence .

“I hope they will be given a chance to start anew as they are still young,” said the fa­ther of two.

Yew, to­gether with four oth­ers from the pri­vate com­pany which or­gan­ised the event, was fined RM3,000, in de­fault two months’ jail and a manda­tory month’s jail for abet­ting in the in­de­cent ex­po­sure.

The four were Cheak Yen Wah, 33, T’ng Cheng Leong, 44, Lie Keh Feng, 23, and Lim Eu Geen, 26.

A to­tal of 23 youths, who ex­posed them­selves dur­ing the ac­tiv­ity, which was held within the re­sort’s com­pound lo­cated at Se­lesa Hill­homes here, were fined RM1,500 each, or in de­fault one month’s jail for in­de­cent ex­po­sure.

Five other youths, who also joined the ac­tiv­ity, but did not par­take in the nu­dity, were also fined RM1,500 each or one month’s jail for abet­ment.

All pleaded guilty.

Ac­cord­ing to the po­lice, eight other youths who also took part were cur­rently over­seas, and would face charges on May 22 upon their re­turn to Malaysia.

Aged be­tween 19 and 23, the youths had taken part in a game at what was said to be a mo­ti­va­tional camp on Jan 21.

At the same time, three ju­ve­niles un­der the age of 18 were granted bail at RM1,000 with re­quest for be­havioural re­ports on their con­duct.

The ac­cused ap­peared in court wear­ing sur­gi­cal face masks and tried their best to avoid the media.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.