Rib injury forces McIlroy out
TORONTO: Former champion Rory McIlroy has withdrawn from next week’s BMW PGA Championship at the Wentworth Club in England due to an ongoing rib injury, the World No 2 said on Friday.
The 28-yearold Northern Irishman, who only returned to competition last week after taking a month off following his wedding, missed five weeks of competition earlier this year due to a rib injury.
McIlroy aggravated the injury at The Players Championship last week in Florida where he earned a share of 35th after finishing twoover par at TPC Sawgrass.
“Having had a reaction to my earlier rib injury, I have been advised to take a conservative approach to my recovery which unfortunately means I have to withdraw from the BMW PGA Championship next week,” McIlroy said on the European Tour’s website.
“It’s a disappointing decision to have to make, but I have to ensure I make a full recovery. I will now continue the process of preparing my game for... the rest of the season.” Reuters
It’s a disappointing decision to have to make, but I have to ensure I make a full recovery.