Manchester United target says transfer rumours are ‘unfounded’
ATLETICO Madrid striker Antoine Griezmann has dismissed reports he has already agreed to leave this summer but stopped short of committing his future to the club.
Griezmann has been strongly linked with a move to Manchester United, with the odds on the transfer going through seemingly only improving after United’s Europa League win guaranteed them Champions League football next season.
A number of reports suggested personal terms had already been agreed with the deal set to be rubber-stamped.
He fanned the flames earlier this week when he suggested his move to Manchester United had a six out of 10 chance of going through this summer.
However, the France forward used Twitter on Friday evening to reject those reports while admitting his future is uncertain.
“All the rumours are unfounded,” he wrote. “I’m still Colchonero. My direction will be established after discussion with my sporting advisor.”
Earlier on Friday, he cast further doubt over a potential exit from the Vicente Calderon by insisting he wants to win trophies under Diego Simeone at Atletico Madrid.
“It has been a great year and I hope I can get better and win trophies with this team,” Griezmann told the Atletico Madrid website.
“I will do everything possible. We are very happy. We have reached our objective, we maybe wanted more, but it could not be.
“We have new goals for next year,” he added.
“I have to play fixtures with my national team and then I’ll go on holiday to enjoy some free time, being with my family and friends, and then I’ll come back more eager than ever.
“Next season, my first hope is to work on the signings, then the team and then, in San Rafael, build the same dynamics that we’ve had for a long time.”
Griezmann, who has scored 26 goals in 53 appearances for Atletico this season, has a £86 million (RM473 million) buyout clause in his contract, and is said to be top of Jose Mourinho’s wish-list this summer.
Torino striker Andrea Belotti and Everton’s Romelu Lukaku are also on the Special One’s shortlist along with Burnley defender Michael Keane. Daily Mail