They were on their way to visit their father who had just un­der­gone surgery


TWO sib­lings who wanted to sur­prise their father by pay­ing him a visit were killed in a road ac­ci­dent yes­ter­day. Gurvin­der Singh, 22, and his sis­ter, Sim­ran­deep Kaur, 25, died at the scene in an ac­ci­dent in­volv­ing three ve­hi­cles at Km290.5 of the North-South Ex­press­way near Sim­pang Pu­lai here.

A close rel­a­tive of the vic­tims said their father had un­der­gone a mi­nor surgery on Sun­day af­ter­noon af­ter suf­fer­ing a cut on his leg.

“I was with him (the father) at Raja Per­maisuri Bainun Hos­pi­tal when I re­ceived a call from Sim­ran­deep at 1.30am say­ing that she and Gurvin­der were on their way to visit their father and were in Gopeng.

“How­ever, three hours later, they had yet to ar­rive. I felt un­easy and called them re­peat­edly but there was no an­swer.

“At 4am, I re­ceived a phone call from the po­lice in­form­ing me that they had died in a road ac­ci­dent and that their bodies were taken to the same hos­pi­tal.

“I ran to the mor­tu­ary to ver­ify the news.

“How­ever, no one was there. So I im­me­di­ately went to the emer­gency depart­ment and asked the nurse if Gurvin­der and Sim­ran­deep were there. But the nurse couldn’t find their names,” she said.

The 24-year-old woman said at one point she felt re­lieved that the news might be wrong.

“But I was wrong.

“The vic­tims’ sis­ter re­ceived a phone call from the po­lice,” she said, ad­ding that the vic­tims were stay­ing and study­ing in Subang. Ipoh po­lice chief As­sis­tant Com­mis­sioner Sum Chang Keong said the 3am ac­ci­dent in­volved a Pero­dua Axia driven by Gurvin­der, a Myvi and a trailer lorry.

“Ini­tial in­ves­ti­ga­tion re­vealed that Gurvin­der, who was driv­ing on the fast lane, lost con­trol of his ve­hi­cle be­fore ram­ming into the rear of the Myvi, which was on the left lane.”

Un­able to con­trol his ve­hi­cle, Gurvin­der then rammed the rear side of a trailer lorry, which was parked by the road­side.

Fol­low­ing the im­pact, the two vic­tims were pinned to their seats. They were pro­nounced dead at the scene af­ter suc­cumb­ing to head and body in­juries.

“The Myvi’s driver and pas­sen­ger, as well as the driver of the lorry es­caped un­hurt,” he said.

Sum said the re­mains of the vic­tims were taken to Raja Per­maisuri Bainun Hos­pi­tal for a post-mortem.

Gurvin­der Singh

Sim­ran­deep Kaur

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.