Kanye West sues in­surer for RM43m over can­celled tour

New Straits Times - - World -

LOS AN­GE­LES: Kanye West filed a law­suit on Tues­day against Lloyd’s for US$10 mil­lion (RM43 mil­lion), al­leg­ing the in­surer is re­fus­ing to pay claims stem­ming from the can­cel­la­tion of his tour fol­low­ing a re­ported men­tal break­down.

The 40-year-old rap su­per­star filed a claim with Lloyd’s shortly af­ter cut­ting short the sec­ond leg of his “Saint Pablo Tour” in Novem­ber and check­ing him­self into a Los An­ge­les clinic, ac­cord­ing to the suit, lodged in Los An­ge­les fed­eral court.

West said he and his com­pany Very Good Tour­ing Inc had not been paid and that the in­sur­ance gi­ant was in­ten­tion­ally stalling.

“Nor have they pro­vided an ex­pla­na­tion about why they have not paid... im­ply­ing that Kanye’s use of mar­i­juana may pro­vide them with a ba­sis to deny the claim and re­tain the hun­dreds of thou­sands of dol­lars in in­sur­ance pre­mi­ums paid by Very Good,” the com­plaint reads.

The “Saint Pablo Tour” was set to run through Dec 31 be­fore the last 21 shows were shelved, but West had taken out in­sur­ance in case can­cel­la­tions were needed, the law­suit stated.

West stunned an au­di­ence in Cal­i­for­nia in Novem­ber last year with a lengthy speech in which he said he did not vote but would have backed then Pres­i­dent-elect Don­ald Trump as he ap­pre­ci­ated the busi­ness­man’s out­spo­ken­ness.

West was soon hos­pi­talised af­ter a se­ries of er­ratic com­ments on stage.

Kanye West

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.