Duo’s re­mand ex­tended for seven days

New Straits Times - - NEWS / CRIME & COURTS -

BUKIT MER­TA­JAM: The re­mand of two sib­lings, de­tained by po­lice on sus­pi­cion of abus­ing their In­done­sian maid which led to her death, have been ex­tended for seven days be­gin­ning yes­ter­day.

The re­mand ex­ten­sion was granted by court regis­trar Nor Hapi­pah Ab­dul­lah against the 36-year-old woman and her 39year-old brother.

Ear­lier, the duo ar­rived at the mag­is­trate’s court here, clad in or­ange and pur­ple lock-up at­tires.

They were first re­manded on Sun­day.

It was re­ported that Adelina Lisao, 26, was res­cued by po­lice last Satur­day fol­low­ing sus­pected abuse by her em­ploy­ers.

She died at 4.45pm on Sun­day while be­ing treated at Bukit Mer­ta­jam Hos­pi­tal.

When found at her em­ployer’s home at Ta­man Kota Per­mai here, she had se­vere in­juries on the head and face, and in­fected wounds on the hands and legs.

Her plight came to light af­ter a re­port was lodged by an aide to the Bukit Mer­ta­jam mem­ber of par­lia­ment.

The case, which was ini­tially in­ves­ti­gated un­der Sec­tion 324 of the Pe­nal Code for vol­un­tar­ily caus­ing hurt, will now be in­ves­ti­gated un­der Sec­tion 302 of the Pe­nal Code for mur­der.

The sib­lings’ 60-year-old mother was re­manded yes­ter­day.

The Con­sulate Gen­eral of In­done­sia in Pe­nang said they had traced Adelina’s fam­ily back home.

Deputy Con­sul Gen­eral Os­rinikita Zub­hana said they ini­tially had dif­fi­culty con­tact­ing the fam­ily due to lack of per­sonal data.

“How­ever, once we re­ceived Adelina’s per­sonal de­tails, we con­tacted the In­done­sian au­thor­i­ties.

“To­day (yes­ter­day), we have been told that her par­ents have been in­formed.”

Os­rinikita ex­pressed hope that the post-mortem could be ex­pe­dited so that they could make prepa­ra­tions to send the re­mains home.

Se­berang Prai Ten­gah dis­trict po­lice chief As­sis­tant Com­mis­sioner Nik Ros Azhan Nik Ab Hamid said po­lice had yet to get the post-mortem re­port.

“We are in­ves­ti­gat­ing the case from var­i­ous an­gles to as­cer­tain the cause of her death,” he said.


The sus­pects leav­ing the Bukit Mer­ta­jam mag­is­trate’s court af­ter hav­ing their re­mand ex­tended yes­ter­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.