Babysit­ter pleads not guilty to abus­ing boy, dis­pos­ing of body to con­ceal death

New Straits Times - - FRONT PAGE -

ABABYSITTER was charged yes­ter­day in the Se­layang Ses­sions Court with two counts of abus­ing a baby boy, lead­ing to him be­ing in­jured in the head, and dis­pos­ing of the body to con­ceal his death.

Noor Aqi­lah Abd Rah­man, 33, pleaded not guilty to the two charges that were read out to her be­fore judge Syafeera Mohd Said. The court set Aug 13 for men­tion of the case.

The of­fences al­legedly took place at her rented house in Jalan Nakhoda Kiri 3, Batu Caves, be­tween 6.20pm and 6.50pm on July 3.

On the first charge, un­der Sec­tion 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001, Noor Aqi­lah is ac­cused of abus­ing 5-month-old Adam Rayqal Mohd Sufi Naeif that led to a head in­jury.

The act pro­vides for a max­i­mum fine of RM50,000 or im­pris­on­ment of up to 20 years, or both, if con­victed.

Noor Aqi­lah, who was pre­vi­ously a cook, is also ac­cused of dis­pos­ing of Adam Rayqal’s body with the in­ten­tion of con­ceal­ing his death.

The charge, un­der Sec­tion 201 of the Pe­nal Code, pro­vides for the con­victed per­son to be sen­tenced to a max­i­mum im­pris­on­ment of three years and li­able to a fine.

Noor Aqi­lah’s lawyers, M. Di­nesh and Mohd Redzuan Mo­hamed Yu­soff, re­quested the court to im­pose the min­i­mum bail be­cause their client was tak­ing care of her par­ents who are suf­fer­ing from hy­per­ten­sion, gout and heart ail­ments.

They also said the par­ents were not work­ing and those who had been send­ing their chil­dren to Noor Aqi­lah found other babysitters since her re­mand.

Redzuan told the court that his client, who was un­mar­ried, stopped work­ing as a cook to fo­cus on babysit­ting and that she had an adopted hand­i­capped child, who was be­ing cared for by some­one else.

Deputy pub­lic prose­cu­tor M. Arun­jothi did not pro­pose bail on grounds that the case was of pub­lic in­ter­est, and left it to the court to de­ter­mine the mat­ter.

The court set bail at RM18,000 in one surety and or­dered Noor Aqi­lah to re­port to the near­est po­lice sta­tion twice a month pend­ing the con­clu­sion of the case.

On July 3, Adam Rayqal was re­ported miss­ing from his babysit­ter’s house in Batu Caves. Po­lice found his body in the freezer of a re­frig­er­a­tor in the house late that night.

A post-mortem by Kuala Lumpur Hospi­tal found that Adam Rayqal died of brain haem­or­rhage and had a frac­tured skull.


Noor Aqi­lah Abd Rah­man be­ing led to the Se­layang Ses­sions Court yes­ter­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.