Cur­few in ESSZone ex­tended to Nov 30

The Borneo Post (Sabah) - - HOME -

KOTA KINABALU: The duskto-dawn cur­few in the waters off the seven dis­tricts of the East­ern Sabah Se­cu­rity Zone (ESSZone), sched­uled to end at 6 pm today, has been ex­tended to Nov 30, said Sabah Po­lice Com­mis­sioner Datuk Ramli Din.

In a state­ment yes­ter­day, he ad­vised peo­ple liv­ing in these dis­tricts, namely Tawau, Sem­porna, Ku­nak, La­had Datu, Kin­abatan­gan, San­dakan and Belu­ran, to re­main in­doors be­tween 6 pm and 6 am.

He said the cur­few had been ex­tended to en­sure that the waters were not en­croached by ter­ror­ists, which could threaten the se­cu­rity of in­ter­na­tional re­searchers, as well as tourists at the re­sort is­lands.

Ramli said that based on in­for­ma­tion, the Abu Sayyaf mil­i­tant group and those who con­ducted kid­nap­pings for ransom from the south­ern Philip­pines and cross-bor­der crimes were still ac­tive in the re­gion.

The cur­few was also to fa­cil­i­tate en­force­ment and mon­i­tor­ing of boat move­ments, and the pres­ence of se­cu­rity ves­sels cre­ates a sense of se­cu­rity for chalet op­er­a­tors and fish­er­men around the area, he said.

“I also au­tho­rise all district po­lice chiefs in the ESSZone dis­tricts to is­sue per­mits to el­i­gi­ble ap­pli­cants for fish­ing ac­tiv­i­ties, or in cases of emer­gen­cies to go through a cur­few area,” he said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.