Spot the synonyms
EACH sentence below contains a synonym of the italicised word(s), spelt out in consecutive letters. Can you spot it?
Example: The couple continued their walk along the path in silence after he commented that she was not as slim as she used to be.
1. The cashier suddenly felt ill as she was counting the money in her cash register.
2. His parents advised him, “Read books and magazines in your free time.”
3. “The cat in your garden was chasing a very small mouse.”
4. He declared his true love for her and added, “You are always on my mind.”
5. He has been feeling wishy-washy of late, probably because a charlatan said to him, “You are five hundred cigarettes short of a cardiac arrest.”
6. He wrote a story about his adventures in the Orient.
7. A group of law students were having a discussion when one of them suddenly said, “Your argument has one serious fault.”
8. The contest organiser said to the large group of beautiful girls, “You will be vying for three titles.”
9. “I may not look strong and healthy to you, but if I train hard for the race, I have a good chance of becoming the champion.”
10. The contestants were advised by the secretary to peruse the rules and regulations on the entry form.
11. The chairman gave each of his hardworking employees a hand-crafted jewel.
12. An unhealthily fat man says to his friend, “I’d like to be seriously wealthy so that I can afford to eat ten meals a day!”
13. The munificent boss gave cash and other gifts to every factory worker who attended his birthday party.
14. “I am a resolute supporter of the club, and I plan to join them in their first outing to the seaside.”
15. “If I lend you my favourite DVDs, will you help me with the assignment in this folder?”
1. till 2. spare 3. tiny 4. real 5. shy of 6. East 7. flaw 8. bevy 9. fit 10. read 11. gem 12. obese 13. hand 14. stout 15. file