turn junk into jewellery.
ONE day while conversing with the attendant at the pharmacy in the neighbourhood, the pair of unusual earrings she had on caught my attention. Pills seemed to be dangling from her earlobes!
When asked where she got those fun earrings, she revealed that those were indeed pill capsules and that she had emptied out the medicine inside.
It goes to show that anything can be turned into accessories to adorn your ears, hair and neck. In this age of “creative repurposing” of items, you won’t be labelled sadly mad when you wear junk jewellery! The question is whether you have the guts to wear the items.
If you are spunky enough, wear this set of earrings and chain necklace from paper clips, soda cans tabs and pistachio nut shells. AND have fun observing and enjoying the reactions of those around you.
From paper clips, soda can tabs, pistachio nut shells, jump rings and earring hooks You need: 25 paper clips 10 soda can tabs 6 pistachio nut shells Jump rings – 5 big pieces (1cm); 6 small pieces (0.4cm) 1 pair silver earring hook Silver paint – acrylic or plaka-lack Brush Piercing tool Pliers Cocktail stick or toothpick
Making the soda can tabs jewellery
1. Paint the pistachio nut shells on the inside and outside. Use the cocktail stick to hold the shell in place while you paint.
2. Pierce hole through the shell on one end, turning the piercing tool to enlarge the hole. Attach a small jump ring, 0.4cm wide, through the hole. Do the same for all the shells.
3. Use the pliers to clip any jagged sharp edges of the holes in the tabs from soda cans.
Pierce a hole into the middle of both ends of four soda can tabs. Enlarge the holes at the wider ends. Pair them up, with the backs facing together.
4. Attach a big jump ring, 1cm wide, through the bigger holes of a pair of tabs. Then attach an earring hook into the jump ring. Close the ends of the ring together with the pliers. Do the same for the other pair of tabs.
5. Link the paper clips together into a chain.
6. Pair up the remaining soda can tabs with their backs facing together. Attach a big jump ring into each pair through the wider openings of the tabs.
7. Attach the rings of the tabs to the paper clip chain on alternate clips. Attach the small rings of the four pistachio nut shells to the paper clips in between the tabs.