Annoying celebrities of 2013
The Kardashians seem to irk us to no end.
On a planet in which Kanye West is an inhabitant, it is hard to believe that anyone else had a shot at topping our annual list of the most annoying celebrities. And yet, there was Miley Cyrus. In her defence, I still believe that all her bad behaviour during 2013 was just an attempt to sell her brand. By that, I mean that I suspect that she intentionally set out to make herself the centre of attention to help promote herself as a teen-princess-turned-provocative-pop-star, and to push sales of her new album. But she did it in such an annoying way that I would be remiss in not giving her the crown.
The singer with the Tennessee twang just turned 21, and she had quite a year. Her public gyrations, mixed with her onagain, off-again relationship with actor Liam Hemsworth, put her in the brightest spotlight imaginable. We were especially moved by her father, singer Billy Ray Cyrus, who never missed an opportunity to appear on television to defend his daughter’s reputation, and perhaps to sell a few records of his own.
Still, there was Kanye. There was Kim. There was the rest of the Kardashian klan. How did any annoying celebrities stand a chance of making it on our annual list with those annoying people around?
Even singer Christina Aguilera, a judge on The Voice, couldn’t annoy her way past the Kardashians. Oh, to be sure, Christina ended 2012 with eyes on the prize.
Then, after the beautiful Colombian singer Shakira replaced her briefly on the show, and demonstrated what a nice person looked like, Christina returned in 2013 with a new outlook – no doubt the result of countless hours working with a crisis management team. She actually finished the year as a pretty agreeable human being. Maybe next year, Christina?
The usual suspects on our annual list of annoying celebrities, including Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Ashton Kutcher, Snooki Polizzi and Donald Trump, are noticeably absent this year. That doesn’t mean they were any less annoying this year, but their annoyances were drowned out by the annoying Kardashians.
And it wouldn’t be fair to single out this annoying family without including a searing indictment of the media for fuelling their annoyances on a daily basis, and for the Kardashian worshippers who not only encourage the family’s annoying behaviour but continue to buy their products. There could be no annoying Kardashians without these co-conspirators.
But enough of my annoying introduction. Here are the 10 most annoying celebrities of 2013:
– She twerked herself onto the list this year. True, the media is to blame for obsessing over her twerking, but she knew what she was doing when she was grinding on Alan Thicke’s son. If she didn’t do a single other annoying thing all year, just grinding on Alan Thicke’s son would have put her on this list.
– The Mother of all Kardashians has made it quite clear that she is not content with just milking the cash cow. She wants her shot at being the cow.
– He’s not only a genius (if you don’t believe me, just ask him), but he was a worldclass annoying celebrity long before he hooked up with Kim. Once he became part of the Kardashian family, he owned it. Of course, compared to the rest of them, he almost seemed the voice of reason in 2013.
– Is there anything more annoying than exploiting your own baby for ratings?
– When I turned 18, I thought about posting a shot of myself wearing a see-through top on the Internet, but I thought it might be TOO AnnOYInG. I suppose we have to blame numbers 2 and 4 for inspiring this sort of behaviour, but when you turn 18, you are adult enough to be responsible for your own behaviour. But congratulations, Kendall, for making us realise that you are not a victim of your family’s behaviour, but an annoying part of it.
– She seemed to use her marital difficulties and Kim’s pregnancy to enhance her own media profile in 2013. I’m not saying she has enjoyed taking over the role of tabloid queen from her sister, but she doesn’t look like she has suffered from it.
– Although one can understand and appreciate his confused state after marrying into this family, the poor ex-Laker needs to find a place to hide.
– If you look up the word “smarmy” in the dictionary, you’ll find a photo of Scott. He won’t marry Kourtney, but they keep popping out those babies.
– She’s just finding her inner annoying self after years of caring for infants. You go, girl.
– How sad. – The Orange County Register/McClatchy-Tribune Information Service