Spicy and aromatic chicken
– 1kg chicken, chopped into
– 2 onions, quartered
– 3 potatoes, cut into small wedges
– 2 tomatoes, quartered
– 1 small can tomato paste – 150ml water
– 4cm piece cinnamon stick – 4 cloves
– 1 star anise
– 3/4 tbsp oil Ground spices (A):
– 10 shallots
– 4 cloves garlic
– 12 red chillies, seeded – 3cm ginger
– 2 tbsp coriander powder – 1 tsp cumin powder
– 1 tsp salt or to taste
– 1 tbsp sugar or to taste
1) Heat oil until hot, sauté ground spices (A) until fragrant. Add in cinnamon stick, cloves and star anise. Then, fry for one to two minutes.
2) Add onions, tomato paste and potatoes. Stir-fry well. Mix in water and tomatoes. Cook until mixture starts to boil.
3) Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender and gravy turns thick.
4) Add seasoning to taste and then serve this mildly spiced curry dish with bread slices or with plain rice. Source: www.kuali.com
‘Ayam masak merah’ (chicken cooked in spicy curry) is a popular dish during Malay festive occasions.