Australian degree with an edge
IF you are looking to pursue higher education that is uniquely Australian and obtain a globally recognised degree, look no further than Swinburne University of Technology Sarawak Campus (Swinburne Sarawak) – the only international branch campus of Swinburne University of Technology based in Melbourne, Australia.
Established through a partnership between Swinburne University of Technology in Australia and the Sarawak government, Swinburne Sarawak is the highest-ranking international university in Borneo based on the Asia-Pacific University Ranking 2017 by Times Higher Education.
It has a five-star rating in the Higher Education Ministry’s Rating for Higher Education Institutions in Malaysia (Setara) 2017 under the Mature University category.
Swinburne Sarawak’s vision is to transform learning through its Transforming Learning Higher Education Strategy, which focuses on developing future-ready learners equipped for employment and business creation.
It aims to deliver social and economic impact with courses that are aligned with the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics disciplines, emphasising personalised and industry-focussed education to ensure its graduates excel in technical skills and are forward “industry” thinkers.
Producing career-ready graduates
Swinburne is also featured in the QS rankings for world-class graduate employability based on graduate employment rates and university-employer partnerships.
Its graduate employability rate is approximately 100% for a number of engineering and business courses, with an overall graduate employability rate of 93%. Most of the remaining 7% of graduates surveyed continued their studies with a postgraduate degree or set out to launch a start-up.
The high employment rate is due to the fact that the university awards the same internationally recognised degree from its main campus in Melbourne.
Swinburne Sarawak delivers courses that are recognised by professional bodies such as the Board of Engineers, Malaysia, Engineers Australia, Australian Computer Society, CPA Australia, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants and the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants.
International recognitions and partnerships
The university consistently boosts its research capacity to produce real-world impact through the launch of two research centres – the Centre for Digital Futures and the Centre for Sustainable Technologies.
As a result, Swinburne Sarawak maintains its three-star rating awarded in 2016 by the Malaysia Research Assessment Instrument for its research initiatives, making it East Malaysia’s first private university to achieve a three-star rating.
Tertiary education at Swinburne Sarawak is only a fraction of the cost of studying abroad. At present, it is home to around 4,000 students from over 50 countries, ensuring a rich learning experience.
Flexible student transfer options are available for students interested in gaining exposure abroad.
Although an entire course may be completed at Swinburne Sarawak, degree students may also transfer to the Melbourne campus to complete their courses or spend one or two semesters studying abroad via the International Student Exchange Programme at one of its student exchange partner institutions in South Korea or Germany.
Swinburne Sarawak’s extensive quality assurance procedures involving continuous liaison and exchange of staff between its Malaysia and Australia campuses guarantee an internationally recognised qualification.
Students who meet the criteria may be eligible to apply for financial aid offered by state and government-linked agencies such as Mara, PTPTN and Yayasan Sarawak, or private and charitable bodies.
Meet the university’s representatives during its Open Day events in Miri (March 18) and Kuching (March 17 and 18).
■ For details, contact 082-415 353 or visit the university’s website (www.swinburne.edu.my), Facebook page (@swinburnesarawak), Twitter page (@Swinburne_Swk) or YouTube channel (Swinburne Sarawak).
As a university of technology, Swinburne Sarawak has facilities that include high-speed Internet access and a 24/7 library.