Vol­un­teers to the res­cue com/4PAWS.pe­nang/.

Many join hands to help save old folks from floods mis­ery

The Star Malaysia - - Nation - Re­ports by R. SEKARAN, CRYS­TAL CHIAM SHIYING and N. TRISHA news­desk@thes­tar.com.my

GE­ORGE TOWN: Peter Tan will al­ways be grate­ful to those who came to his old folks home to help the 12 se­nior cit­i­zens trapped there dur­ing the flash floods.

“We were caught of­f­guard be­cause the wa­ter level rose very fast. It soaked their beds and there was noth­ing the four staff on duty could do.

“For­tu­nately, some mem­bers of the pub­lic and oth­ers from NGOs, St John Am­bu­lance, the state Health Depart­ment, Fire and Res­cue Ser­vices Depart­ment and char­ity agen­cies came to help,” said Tan, the founder of the non-profit home Gan En Zhi Jia in Lengkok P. Ram­lee.

Pic­tures of the old folks shiv­er­ing in their soaked beds, which went vi­ral on so­cial me­dia, at­tracted many vol­un­teers who braved the rain and floods on Fri­day to help move the vic­tims to a tem­po­rary shel­ter in nearby SMJK Heng Ee.

A 24-year-old vol­un­teer, who wanted to be iden­ti­fied only as Jiang, said it was heart-wrench­ing to see the se­nior cit­i­zens ly­ing help­less as the flood waters swamped their beds.

“I’ve been to many disas­ter ar­eas dur­ing floods in Pe­nang but see­ing these peo­ple al­most moved me to tears be­cause they could have drowned if help had not come.”

Vol­un­teers at the school also helped clean and feed the aged folk while a doc­tor tended to them.

One of the se­nior cit­i­zens was ad­mit­ted to Pe­nang Hos­pi­tal for ob­ser­va­tion while the oth­ers were taken back to the home yes­ter­day.

Mean­while, the body of fac­tory worker Noor Afi­dah Ya­ju­nas was found by fire­men some 20 hours af­ter she was swept away in a flash flood in Paya Terubong,

Her body was re­cov­ered at 7.45am yes­ter­day at a nearby river in Bukit Jam­bul.

Noor Afi­dah went miss­ing af­ter she tried to ride her mo­tor­cy­cle across wa­ter gush­ing onto the road from a hill­side and was washed into a ravine along Jalan Paya Terubong near Re­lau.

“I prayed for my daugh­ter’s safety af­ter she went miss­ing on Fri­day. I have to ac­cept her death as God’s will,” her mother Adisah Ja­didi, 66, said at the Pe­nang Hos­pi­tal mor­tu­ary yes­ter­day.

Noor Afi­dah was the youngest of her nine chil­dren.

State Fire and Res­cue Depart­ment spokesman Mohd Az­man Hussin said 18 fire­men were in­volved in the search.

Rough seas brought high waves that lashed the prom­e­nade at the Es­planade on Fri­day night.

The E&O Ho­tel’s her­itage-wing gar­den ter­race on the seafront was partly sub­merged when the waves surged over the re­tain­ing wall.

East­ern & Ori­en­tal Bhd group hospitality and life­style di­rec­tor Michael Saxon said no guests were in­jured and there was no dam­age to the prop­erty.

See­ing these peo­ple al­most moved me to tears be­cause they could have drowned if help had not come.


Car­ing hearts: Vol­un­teers from a char­ity clinic at­tend­ing to a se­nior cit­i­zen at the tem­po­rary home at SMJK Heng Ee in Ge­orge Town. Inset: A teacher, par­ent and stu­dent of SJKC Han Chi­ang clean­ing the school af­ter the floods in Pe­nang.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.