Beauty around the volcano
Bukit Aman’s quick actions prove to be a bane for terrorists
One of the 20 most surreal places in the world, according to TripAdvisor, is New Zealand’s Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland.
KUALA LUMPUR: Some of them came here on a mission – to create civil unrest, including launching terror attacks at certain locations.
Several others were planning to use the country as a transit point and a base, as well as to collect funds to finance their terror operations.
But quick action by the police from the Counter Terrorism Division put paid to their concerted plans.
Since early this year and up to last week, police have rounded up 45 foreign terrorist fighters in several special operations nationwide.
Inspector- General of Police Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun said nine of those detained were from the Abu Sayyaf group.
Mohamad Fuzi said intelligence showed members of this group had planned to launch several attacks in the country.
Others rounded up include three from Fetullah Turki, one from an Albanian terror cell linked to the Islamic State (IS) and another from Jamaatul Mujahideen Bangladesh.
“Thirty-one of these fighters are IS militants from various countries, including three from Iraq.
“Investigations revealed that these three key suspects are commanders of an IS cell there.
“All the suspects were taken into custody by our counter terrorism teams in sting operations between January and Oct 6,” he said in a statement yesterday.
Mohamad Fuzi said the arrests were part of Bukit Aman’s proactive move based on intelligence on these fighters, who were previously based in Iraq and Syria and were ordered to infiltrate other countries.
“We also discovered the IS cooperated with other terrorist groups, including the Abu Sayyaf, to send militants to Malaysia to launch attacks.
“So far, 13 of them have been charged under the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act,” he added.
Mohamad Fuzi said 12 others have been deported to face action by the authorities in their respective countries.
“One suspect is being held under the Prevention of Terrorism Act while another 12 are still under investigations,” he said.
Mohamad Fuzi said the success in capturing all these fighters was due to close cooperation with foreign intelligence and enforcement agencies.
“We will continue to take action against foreign terror elements and thwart any planned attacks by them in the country,” he added.
During a press conference in Pulapol, Mohamad Fuzi said several people, including a teenager, were nabbed in Kelantan on Wednesday.
He said the 18-year-old was detained for making a bomb.
“I can confirm that there were a few arrests in relation to several planned attacks at certain targets,” he added.
Awaiting their fate: The 13 foreign terrorists who were charged in court by police recently.