Flat buyers cry foul
GEORGE TOWN: Several applicants of a low-cost flat project in Taman Seri Anggun here are crying foul after their letters of offer were rescinded by the state.
Spokesman Abdul Hamid Mydin said 12 applicants were affected, and alleged that no reason was given.
He said the group was very disappointed with what happened as they received the letters in September last year.
He added the applicants were shocked when the ceremony to draw the lots was held on Sept 29 this year.
“They were told to revert to the State Housing Department and wait for further instructions,” he told a press conference yesterday.
Abdul Hamid said the applicants received a letter shortly after requesting they submit their compensation agreements within two weeks.
The offers were subsequently rescinded as they did not submit the documents, he added.
“They feel a great injustice has been done,” he said and urged the state to reinstate the offers.
When contacted, Penang Housing Committee chairman Jagdeep Singh said the units were for squatters on the land where the development was taking place.
He said applicants must furnish details on the compensation agreement to the Housing Department to be entitled to a replacement unit.
In this case, he added, they could apply under the normal list as they needed to follow the normal application process.