Sam­sung ‘ad­just­ing’ Galaxy Note 7 pro­duc­tion sched­ule

The Sun (Malaysia) - - SUNBIZ -

SEOUL: Sam­sung is chang­ing the pro­duc­tion plan for its lat­est line of high-end smart­phones, the com­pany said yes­ter­day, as it strug­gled to con­tain safety prob­lems that have al­ready forced a global re­call.

“We are tem­po­rar­ily ad­just­ing the Galaxy Note 7 pro­duc­tion sched­ule in or­der to take fur­ther steps to en­sure qual­ity and safety mat­ters,” the firm said.

Ear­lier re­ports from South Korea and the United States in­di­cated that Sam­sung had tem­po­rar­ily stopped pro­duc­tion of the Note 7 phone for safety rea­sons.

“This mea­sure in­cludes a Sam­sung plant in Viet­nam that is re­spon­si­ble for global ship­ments” of the Galaxy Note 7, a Sam­sung sup­plier told Korean news agency Yon­hap on the con­di­tion of anonymity.

The Wall Street Jour­nal also said pro­duc­tion of the phone had been halted, cit­ing “a per­son fa­mil­iar with the mat­ter”.

Sam­sung started sell­ing the smart­phone on Aug 19, but an­nounced a global re­call of 2.5 mil­lion units in Septem­ber fol­low­ing re­ports that some of the de­vices had caught fire.

The Wall Street Jour­nal said four Sam­sung phones burst into flames in the US last week, but it was not clear what mod­els were in­volved or whether they were re­paired mod­els. Yon­hap said there had been eight cases around the world of re­ported fires in­volv­ing re­place­ment Note 7 smart­phones. – dpa

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.