Mis­taken iden­tity


SERDANG: A doc­tor was al­legedly tack­led to the ground, hand­cuffed and as­saulted by an elite fed­eral po­lice team af­ter be­ing mis­taken for a rob­ber.

This hap­pened last Fri­day at Hospi­tal Serdang de­spite the 28-year-old be­ing in his doc­tor’s out­fit, with a stetho­scope around his neck and the hospi­tal iden­ti­fi­ca­tion tag.

The raid­ing po­lice team was act­ing on a tip-off that mem­bers of a rob­bery gang were at a food stall in the hospi­tal carpark.

The doc­tor, who is at­tached to the car­di­ol­ogy depart­ment, suf­fered in­juries af­ter be­ing al­legedly as­saulted by mem­bers of the fed­eral Spe­cial Task Force on Or­gan­ised Crime (Stafoc) who were clad in black full tac­ti­cal gear, bal­a­clavas and car­ried heavy firearms.

De­spite a se­nior doc­tor at the hospi­tal vouch­ing for him on see­ing him in hand­cuffs, the doc­tor claimed he was de­tained for hours and ques­tioned if he had links to the rob­bery gang.

The doc­tor, who later lodged a po­lice re­port over his or­deal, said he had thought the dozen­odd Stafoc mem­bers – who did

not have po­lice em­blems on their uni­form – were rob­bers, and he had fol­lowed when other hospi­tal staff and by­standers fled the chaotic scene.

Sepang po­lice chief ACP Ab­dul Aziz Ali, who con­firmed the in­ci­dent, said an in­ves­ti­ga­tion on the doc­tor’s re­port is be­ing con­ducted.

“The com­plainant al­leged that he was roughed up by mem­bers of the raid­ing party and the in­ci­dent had em­barassed him.

“A com­pre­hen­sive probe is on­go­ing and who­ever was in­volved (in the case) will not be spared (from ac­tion).

“While our in­ves­ti­ga­tions are pro­gress­ing, we urge the public not to make spec­u­la­tions about the case,” he said.

It is learnt that fol­low­ing a rob­bery in Ka­jang ear­lier, po­lice had re­ceived a tip-off that seven sus­pects be­hind the case were hav­ing their meals at the hospi­tal’s food stall, where the doc­tor who was on duty was also hav­ing din­ner.

When the team ar­rived at the hospi­tal com­pound, the sus­pected rob­bers ran hel­ter-skel­ter in a bid to es­cape but were ap­pre­hended.

Fear­ing for his life and in a state of panic, the doc­tor ran to­wards the hospi­tal build­ing but was in­ter­cepted by a Stafoc per­son­nel who tack­led him to the ground. De­spite be­ing at­tired in doc­tor’s cloth­ing and telling them who he was, the doc­tor al­leged that sev­eral other po­lice­men as­saulted him.

As he was be­ing taken away af­ter be­ing hand­cuffed, a se­nior doc­tor who was at the scene ap­proached the po­lice­men and told them that the “sus­pect” was a doc­tor at­tached to the hospi­tal.

Al­though the po­lice­men re­moved the hand­cuffs, they in­sisted on tak­ing him to the nearby Sri Serdang po­lice sta­tion for in­ter­ro­ga­tion.

At the po­lice sta­tion, the doc­tor pleaded to be given med­i­cal at­ten­tion for the in­juries sus­tained in the as­sault.

About three hours later, he was es­corted by po­lice­men back to the hospi­tal where he re­ceived treat­ment be­fore be­ing taken back to the po­lice sta­tion.

He was freed on bail at about 3am and was re­ceived by his fa­ther who, co­in­ci­den­tally, is a po­lice­man at­tached to the district po­lice head­quar­ters in Kuala Lumpur.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.