‘Bad boy’ Kyr­gios banned

The Sun (Malaysia) - - SPORTS -

TEN­NIS ‘bad boy’ Nick Kyr­gios (pix, be­low) has been banned for eight tour­na­ment weeks for his con­duct dur­ing his de­feat at the Shanghai Masters last week, the gov­ern­ing body for men’s ten­nis (ATP) said yes­ter­day.

“The sus­pen­sion will be re­duced to three tour­na­ment weeks upon agree­ment that the player en­ters a plan of care un­der the di­rec­tion of a sports psy­chol­o­gist...” the ATP said in a state­ment.

Kyr­gios has also been slapped with an ad­di­tional US$25,000 (RM105,480)fine for “con­duct con­trary to the in­tegrity of the game”, it added.

The tal­ented yet tem­per­a­men­tal Aus­tralian was beaten 6-3 6-1 by Mis­cha Zverev in a sec­ond-round match in which he put in a se­ries of half-hearted serves and ap­peared to be walk­ing off court be­fore the un­seeded Ger­man had re­turned the ball to him.

Kyr­gios also clashed with a spec­ta­tor be­fore be­ing booed off the court. He was fined US$16,500 (RM69,617) by the ATP on Thursday.

The 21-year-old re­leased a state­ment yes­ter­day apol­o­gis­ing for his be­hav­iour.

“Fol­low­ing the ATP’s de­ci­sion to­day I would like to take this op­por­tu­nity to apol­o­gise again for the cir­cum­stances in Shanghai,” he said. “I do un­der­stand and re­spect the de­ci­sion by the ATP and I will use this time off to im­prove on and off the court. I am truly sorry and look for­ward to re­turn­ing in 2017.” – Reu

ters

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.