Faulty cell­phone or charger cause of fire?

The Sun (Malaysia) - - NEWS WITHOUT BORDERS -

JO­HOR BARU: Although the cause of the fire that broke out at the Sul­tanah Ami­nah Hospi­tal (HSA) here has yet to be ac­er­tained, spec­u­la­tion was rife yes­ter­day on so­cial me­dia al­leg­ing that it was a re­sult of a faulty cell­phone charger.

The un­ver­i­fied mes­sages claimed that ei­ther a cell­phone or a charger unit that was close to an oxy­gen tank at the ward had ex­ploded be­fore a mat­tress caught fire.

Sev­eral screen­shots of state­ments ap­par­ently is­sued by hos­pi­tals in the coun­try made their rounds, claim­ing that med­i­cal staff were ad­vised to look out for pa­tients who charged their cell­phones us­ing power points lo­cated close to oxy­gen tanks.

One such state­ment, pur­port­edly is­sued by a hospi­tal in the Klang Val­ley, turned out to be fake fol­low­ing checks by theSun.

The Health Min­istry in a state­ment said it was too early to spec­u­late on the cause of the fire. Health Min­is­ter Datuk Seri Dr S.Subra­ma­niam said a spe­cial com­mit­tee made up of ex­perts and those from re­lated agen­cies will be set up to in­ves­ti­gate and de­ter­mine what trig­gered the fire that left six pa­tients dead.

He said the min­istry learnt that thick smoke and rag­ing fire had hin­dered res­cue ef­forts.

How­ever, he com­mended the Fire and Res­cue Depart­ment and HSA staff for pre­vent­ing the blaze from spread­ing to the rest of the build­ing and safely evac­u­at­ing 487 peo­ple. – by Charles Ra­men­dran

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.