MH17 downing: Two prosecution options identified
KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia and member countries of the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) probing the shooting down of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 in eastern Ukraine are discussing two prosecution options.
Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Abdul Aziz Kaprawi said they are prosecution at the national level by one of the JIT member nations, and prosecution by an international tribunal set up by JIT members.
“However, the decision will depend on the findings of the criminal investigation,” he told the Dewan Rakyat yesterday in reply to a question from Datuk Johari Abdul (PKRSungai Petani) on how the government intended to obtain justice for the case.
MH17 was shot down over eastern Ukraine on July 17, 2014, killing all 298 passengers and crew, including 44 Malaysians.
Abdul Aziz said so far, only the Dutch government had taken action for prosecution at the national level.
He stressed that the ability to commence prosecution was subject to having sufficient evidence.
This was because the interim report on the criminal investigation into MH17 issued by JIT last Sept 28 had not identified the party responsible.
However, the investigation was still ongoing, he added. – Bernama